Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cincity Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Bank garnishment, can I cash a check at my bank or will they keep it?
    Are banks linked or does the garnishment have to be sent to all banks?

I have a debt and they haven't frozen my account but about once a month they do a garnishment and drain my account.

My questions: Can I just cash a check at my bank or will they keep it? If I take my check to a different bank will they know about the garnishment?

THanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 04:43 PM

They will most likely get the money if you deposit it, Most banks will not cash a check unless you have that much money in it.

Can you take it to the bank it was wrtten on

Feb 5, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    They will most likely get the money if you deposit it, Most banks will not cash a check unless you have that much money in it.

Can you take it to the bank it was wrtten on

No, it is from a money-order company. So the check is from out of state.
    Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 10:33 AM

Is it a check or a money order, here in Atlatna there are check cashing facilities. But unless you deposit it, they will not garnish it

Feb 5, 2009, 12:28 PM
    Is it a check or a money order, here in Atlatna there are check cashing facilities. But unless you deposit it, they will not garnish it
    It is a check.
    Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 12:31 PM

While I am not sure they will cash it, if I have a check for 500 dollars but do not have 500 dollars in my account, I know my bank will not cash my check, and they know me by name when I walk in the door. It is just their policy.

But if they will cash it, then there should be no issue for you.

May I ask what type of work you do for a money order place?

Feb 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
    While I am not sure they will cash it, if I have a check for 500 dollars but do not have 500 dollars in my account, I know my bank will not cash my check, and they know me by name when I walk in the door. It is just thier policy.

But if they will cash it, then there should be no issue for you.

May I ask what type of work you do for a money order place ??

I don't work for a money order place. I purchased a money order that was returned to me, so I contacted the company to get it replaced and they sent a check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Bank Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I had an attorney garnish my joint bank account, taking all of the money out, due to a Judgement. My husband is not on the judgement and the money in the account was his. I am a commissioned employee and have not received a check in over a month. His money is used for utilities, food, and small...

How To Cash Check if Bank Account Frozen [ 1 Answers ]

I am a senior citizen in financial difficulties due to several judgments against me. One of my bank accounts is frozen. I have another one that I only keep a small amount in to pay for my AOL services online which has not been detected as yet. My car was just totaled and the insurance company...

What happens if you cash a check that a bank sent you by mistake [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I received a check from a bank to my name for an amount of money that I don't recall is due to me. What would happen if I cash this check? Can I be charged with a crime, if the bank decides to recall the check? Are any other types of cahrges can be brought against me if I cash the...

Bank Garnishment [ 4 Answers ]

What funds are exempt from bank garnishment in Georgia?

View more questions Search