Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattijo55 Posts: 104, Reputation: 5

Feb 4, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Freezing bank acct
    I was reading where if a debt collector can garnish your wages... they can also freeze your bank acct? How is that possible? Secondly... Is Illinois one of the states that you cannot have your wages garnished over a credit card debt? Thanks Patti
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 09:43 AM

As for 'non-wage' garnishment: "Non-Wage Garnishment
    A creditor with a court judgment not only can garnish wages, but also can garnish money belonging or owed to the debtor that is in the hands of other third parties. The term "garnish" means to take. Most often, a non-wage type of garnishment takes money from a debtor's bank account, although it can also be taken from an insurance company or anyone else who owes money to the consumer." Illinois Legal Advocate | Wage Garnishments

And wage garnishment: "14. Illinois Wage Garnishment

The maximum part of an individual's disposable earnings for the work week that can be garnished is the greater of:

1. 15% of the disposable earnings; or

2. The amount of the disposable earnings that exceed 45 times the federal minimum hourly wage.

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/...hments.html#14
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 09:44 AM

Creditors get a Judgment and collect according to the laws of the particular State - and that includes liens against bank accounts, wage garnishments, seizing property, liening against real estate.

My research indicates that wages can be garnished in IL for any Judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen bank acct [ 5 Answers ]

My bank acct was frozen by a debt collector but I don't have the money to pay it off now, the debt collector told me I could make a payment arrangement with them but my unemployment check is not enough for me to start paying off my debt and he told me there's interest building on the debt everyday...

Bank Acct. Garnishment, can they go in again ? [ 6 Answers ]

We have a judgement against us from a Credit Card Company isssued July 2007. The amount of the judgement was $10,500, plus cost and 8% interest until debt was paid. Long story but we used the card to pay for medical cost not covered by insurance for our son who had two surgeries. Today, I received...

Frozen bank acct [ 4 Answers ]

My bank account is supposed to be frozen and when I try to use my debit card its declined because the account is frozen but when I go to make transactions through paypal the transactions go through so exactly what's happening its not being posted to my acct but its going through with paypal...

IRA Bank Acct. [ 1 Answers ]

Can they freez an IRA acct at a Bank?

View more questions Search