Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juliforever55 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
    What you think about getting married yougn?
    Hello I'm a 17 year old girl about to turn 18 this upcoming June. I am currently dating my 19 year old boyfriend which turned 19 this oct. we started dating may 8 of 2007. We talked for about 3 months before we took the titel. Its about to be a year in 10 months feb. 8.. Anyway he joined that army he we sent to basic training in oct. the week of his birthday. He left for 2 months. It was hard at the time because I wasn't able to speak to him everyday. He would have to call me when he could. Which was like 3 times every week at the max. and we got to write letters. But doing christmas time he came down for 2 weeks... nothing changed we still had the same relationship we had when he left. A very fun one!! It had felt like he didn't even left! But then he had to leave again and he won't graduate for the basic training till the 20th of this month(feb). But even though he graduaates he will be stationed in a different state... well anyway the whole reason I wanted to post this because I just wanted to hear others peoples opionion!? We have been taking about marriage for a while now... we're not engaged yet but I know it will be happening really soon.. "Im so excited"lol.. but anyway I'm a junior in high school so next year is my last year,, and the plan was that after my graduation we will make it official.. and go get married. We talked if over and over and over... our intention was to take it a little slower by moving in together for a while before even concedering getting married so soon.. but now since he's in the army only way we could move in together is my marrige.. which isn't a problem just moving a couple steps ahead... but we still are getting married next year! I'm willing to move out where he is station and go to a college there so I could still get my education. I got dreams and I know that I can still establish them there because I'm still going to try... I have met almost his hole family already just us being together for a short period.. I love them! From what I've been told they love me as well. Me and his parents have a great relationship! I wouldn't mind having a mother and father in law! he has told me a little about his mother speaking of marriage as well.. I've spoken to my mother and she says whatever makes me happy makes her happy. That's all she wants. And my boyfriend and her have a good relationship as well.. he has met some of my family from what they tell me the love him to.. he has not yet to met my father and some other members concedering they are in a diff. state. But when I speak to them they are always asking about him because I'm always talking about him.. I don't know I know if we were to get married id be the happiest girl ever.. this is something I really think might change our lifes in a good way! We can create so much, learn so much, and just grow old together!. we have a good and strong relationship and I do believe in it. But what do you think??
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 4, 2009, 03:57 PM

What does he think of your plan??
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2009, 06:24 PM

How long is he in the service?

Feb 4, 2009, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    What does he think of your plan???
    We both came up with the plan.. not just me it was the both of us we talked it over. And that's what we thought is best thing right now

Feb 4, 2009, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuff View Post
    How long is he in the service?
    He's not sure yet I mean he said he just wants to try it out... for a while.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 06:46 AM

Umm, I'm not quite sure but being in the service isn't something you just "try out" I don't know what country you are from, but in the US if you sign up, you are property of the government for at least 4 years barring any legitimate problems.

As for marrying young, if it is both what you want and have thought it through then that's your decision.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 07:42 AM

My husband and I met the summer before I became a senior in high school. I am six months older, but he was a year behind me in high school. We worked at the local grocery store together. Met, fell in love, decided to marry.

He chose the US Navy to get him out of the little town we lived in. He graduated high school the first Friday in June. We married 8 days later and he shipped off to boot camp 7 days later. We will celebrate 23 years of marriage this June.

Neither of us would recommend getting married that young.

You really don't know what you want out of life until you are in your mid 20s or so. Right now all you can think of is being in love and all the wonderful mushy stuff that young love gives you. That will eventually simmer down (hopefully) to a solid love between the two of you.

On top of being very young, you have the additional issue of your young man being an active duty service member. That means he will be gone a lot. Over the course of our 20 year marriage (while my hubby was in the navy) he was gone 4 years just due to cruise deployments alone. That doesn't count the last 2.5 years of being stationed in another country that we were not allowed to accompany him to and the numerous LEO ops, duty days and short cruises he was required to attend.

Active Duty members have to put their career in front of family. He may miss the birth of a child, will most definitely miss a birthday here and an anniversary there and other important events. Love often isn't enough for many military families. It takes a commitment on the spouses part that can put a real strain on the relationship.

If you do decide to marry, I would encourage you to continue your education and build your own career. St Leo University has campus' on many military bases and you can also take courses online and they give a great discount to active duty spouses. Saint Leo University - Founded in 1889

Good luck to you.
    himnher6205 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 08:53 AM
    I got married at 17 while my husband was 18 and joining the service. Its not easy but if you love each other u can make it work
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Feb 5, 2009, 10:00 AM

Hi Julie,

I would strongly recommend you to wait. 17 is a very very young age. Have you dated different boyfriends? I think by the time you are 32, you'll be so shocked at how much you learn through life and life experiences. Remember that marriage is F-O-R-E-V-E-R. it is one of the biggest LIFE decisions that you can possibly make. What you feel now, may not be the same way you will feel in 5 years or 10 years. Can you please wait?

I promise, you'll be happy if you allow yourself to mature and grow up first. Truly. Honestly.

Feb 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    Umm, I'm not quite sure but being in the service isn't something you just "try out" I don't know what country you are from, but in the US if you sign up, you are property of the government for at least 4 years barring any legitimate problems.

As for marrying young, if it is both what you want and have thought it through then that's your decision.
    O OK.. lol yeah I know that! I just didn't know how many years you had to be in for the minimum. If that makes since.

Feb 5, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emland View Post
    my husband and i met the summer before i became a senior in high school. I am six months older, but he was a year behind me in high school. We worked at the local grocery store together. Met, fell in love, decided to marry.

He chose the us navy to get him out of the little town we lived in. He graduated high school the first friday in june. We married 8 days later and he shipped off to boot camp 7 days later. We will celebrate 23 years of marriage this june.

You really don't know what you want out of life until you are in your mid 20s or so. Right now all you can think of is being in love and all the wonderful mushy stuff that young love gives you. That will eventually simmer down (hopefully) to a solid love between the two of you.

On top of being very young, you have the additional issue of your young man being an active duty service member. That means he will be gone a lot. Over the course of our 20 year marriage (while my hubby was in the navy) he was gone 4 years just due to cruise deployments alone. That doesn't count the last 2.5 years of being stationed in another country that we were not allowed to accompany him to and the numerous leo ops, duty days and short cruises he was required to attend.

Active duty members have to put their career in front of family. He may miss the birth of a child, will most definitely miss a birthday here and an anniversary there and other important events. Love often isn't enough for many military families. It takes a committment on the spouses part that can put a real strain on the relationship.

If you do decide to marry, i would encourage you to continue your education and build your own career. St leo university has campus' on many military bases and you can also take courses online and they give a great discount to active duty spouses. saint leo university - founded in 1889

good luck to you.

Thankx

Feb 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by himnher6205 View Post
    i got married at 17 while my husband was 18 and joining the service. Its not easy but if you love each other u can make it work
    We both are willing to make it work!! Are you and your husband still together?

Feb 5, 2009, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie46 View Post
    Hi Julie,

I would strongly recommend you to wait. 17 is a very very young age. Have you dated different boyfriends? I think by the time you are 32, you'll be so shocked at how much you learn through life and life experiences. Remember that marriage is F-O-R-E-V-E-R. it is one of the biggest LIFE decisions that you can possibly make. What you feel now, may not be the same way you will feel in 5 years or 10 years. Can you please wait?

I promise, you'll be happy if you allow yourself to mature and grow up first. truly. honestly.
    I know I can wait, but I'm scared that if I don't then ill let something that truly is something special, but also the best thing that happen to me walk out my life. I have one more year of high school. And I know that a year is a lot of time so we both have time to think it over. You know. And I know god gave us this year to have time to think. And I know I'm goinna have to. Yes I have had bfs in the past. But nothing compared to US!! All that they were was little childish things! Just to have a boyfriend you know! This is the best relationship I've had!! And I found me a new best friend! I'm not sure if I want all this to let go!! I'm still going to go to college do what I have to do. And the distance might even help.lol I like being alone so I can concentrate on my life! Thankx a lot..
    Juli!

Feb 5, 2009, 01:02 PM
    [QUOTE=Emland;1529460]My husband and I met the summer before I became a senior in high school. I am six months older, but he was a year behind me in high school. We worked at the local grocery store together. Met, fell in love, decided to marry.

He chose the US Navy to get him out of the little town we lived in. He graduated high school the first Friday in June. We married 8 days later and he shipped off to boot camp 7 days later. We will celebrate 23 years of marriage this June.

On top of being very young, you have the additional issue of your young man being an active duty service member. That means he will be gone a lot. Over the course of our 20 year marriage (while my hubby was in the navy) he was gone 4 years just due to cruise deployments alone. That doesn't count the last 2.5 years of being stationed in another country that we were not allowed to accompany him to and the numerous LEO ops, duty days and short cruises he was required to attend.

Active Duty members have to put their career in front of family. He may miss the birth of a child, will most definitely miss a birthday here and an anniversary there and other important events. Love often isn't enough for many military families. It takes a commitment on the spouses part that can put a real strain on the relationship.

If you do decide to marry, I would encourage you to continue your education and build your own career. St Leo University has campus' on many military bases and you can also take courses online and they give a great discount to active duty spouses. Saint Leo University - Founded in 1889

Good luck to you.[/QUOTE

Thankx for the advise.. I do know that this well be a difficult experience but I'm willing to go through it.. I might be young but I do know what I want out of my life. I want to be successful, I want to be able to say that I accomplished something and I have and that I have done what I said I was going to do. You know. I'm going to college... start my career and then kids! And he knows that as well! And I know distance might suck! But hey I been single for a long time haha I learned that I don't need sum1 by my all means you know! I know we could wait but I know I want to be out my house by my graduation. And why not start our lifes together!. thank you again.
    Bonnie46 Posts: 113, Reputation: 16

Apr 17, 2009, 04:12 PM

You're too young. You need to learn how to properly spell words first. Allow yourself a few years to grow up and try dating different people. You will learn new things from each new partner you date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file Married jointly or married separated [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know, that can I file jointly with my wife or married but separated. She is a Canadian citizen and she does not have a U.S. (SSN). She visits me Every 2 months and if I round up all her visits she has stayed with me More than 6 months, so can I claim her by applying for ITIN...

Can I refile my taxes from Married to married filing separtly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My husband owes taxes and we have been filing taxes Married/Jointly. But Since he owes we won't get the rebate. After I filed our 2007 taxes (I did myself) I wondered if I could have filed Married/filing separately Can I go back and refile again with Married/filing separately. We have kids. So...

View more questions Search