Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ockerd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Step parent adoption
    My daughter got pregnant by someone she doesn't want to be with. During her pregnancy she married a man and he wants to be the father of the baby. The bio father has said to leave him alone. We were told that since she was married at the time of the birth that the babies last name will be the husbands last name. What other rights does the new husband have as far as being the legal father? What rights does the bio father have? We live in Idaho.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 07:51 AM
    I was adopted by my step father. My blood father did object, but it still went through because my mom showed the court that he was not involved with me anyway.

Once the adopton went through, my birth certificate was actually changed to show my "new" father as the birth father. When all is said and done, your son in law will be fully and actually (legally speaking) your grandchilds father... with all rights as a birth father.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2006, 09:30 PM
    The new husband really has no rights at all unless he adopts the child, which can only happen with the consent of the biological father. As to the child's name, the mother can put whatever name she wants on the birth certificate and it will stand unless the biological father contests it or the child himself changes it when he gets to be of age.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 17, 2006, 09:54 PM
    Bio father has rights and needs them protected... if he has not shown that he cares for the child and is a nuisance prove him unfit... the fathers name on the birth certificate should be enough and if the bio father wants to pay child support then he should keep on with the challenges of adoption... no support emotionally or financially then place the baby's new daddy name on the birth certificate... bio daddy needs to move on..
    artyh2o Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 08:18 AM
    If my child is adoped by her stepfather what happens to my back child support

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of a forum that deals with adoption law? Or can anyone here answer what I think is a simple question on the subject?

Step parent [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about step parents rights? Do we have any? Where do I look to find out more?

View more questions Search