Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craigbrooks Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Individual fixture venting during re-model
    I am preparing to convert two 2nd floor closets into a second full bath (toilet, shower, and lav) in our circa 1940 house. The closets are adjacent to the existing bath so I can gain access to main drain/vent and water supply. Most of the information that I have read recommends individually venting each fixture. The fixtures in the current bath (toilet, separate shower & tub, and lav) appear to make use of the wet vent or combination waste and vent method. This is also the case with the kitchen sink on the first floor, and half bath (toilet and lav) and laundry tub in the basement. We have lived in the house for a number of years without any plumbing problems. I am planning to re-model the existing 2nd floor bath during the project, but not move the toilet or any of the fixtures. Can I use the same wet vent or combination waste and vent method using the existing drain/vent for the new bathroom? If not, should I also re-plumb the existing bath fixtures to include individual fixture venting?

Thanks for any advice,
    Craig
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2006, 03:05 PM
    Hey Craig,

" Most of the information that I have read recommends individually venting each fixture"
    Not on this page or from me you didn't!

Most bathroom groups are roughed in like this.
    Toilet connects to sewer main. The toilet wet vents through the lavatory vent. Lavatory connects to toilet drain and runs a vent out the roof or revents back to a vent in the attic off the top the lavs stubout tee. The shower connects to the lavatory drain and is wet vented by it. This is a normal rough in and is acceptable both by local and state codes but also The Standard Plumbing Code Book.
    Where ever did you read that each fixture requires its own vent? Regards, Tom
    craigbrooks Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Tom,
    Thanks much for your help. A number of plumbing "How To" books (such as Stanley Complete Plumbing) that I referenced seem to show 2'' vent pipe connecting each fixture to the main vent in addition to the drain pipes.
    Can I tie the second bath into the existing drain/vent using the rough in you describe.
    Thanks,
    Craig
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2006, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by craigbrooks
    Tom,
    Thanks much for your help. A number of plumbing "How To" books (such as Stanley Complete Plumbing) that I referenced seem to show 2'' vent pipe connecting each fixture to the main vent in addition to the drain pipes.
    Can I tie the second bath into the existing drain/vent using the rough in you describe.
    Thanks,
    Craig
    Yes, You may connect the main drains together and tie the vent back to the old vent with no problems. Keep me informed of your progress. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Setting up a Architec Individual Practices... [ 3 Answers ]

What is the process and procedures of registration and setting up of the Architect individual practices? Please give me some information about this. And please give me more information about architect.:confused:

Waterproof light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I built "wet bathroom" that has tile floor/walls/ceiling. This room can be used as a spare shower. I need to find a waterproof or enclosed light fixture for over the sink. I have not been able to find one that will work yet. Any ideas? Thanks, Brian123:)

Can I Opt Not be considered An EXEMPT individual? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to decide whether I need to file resident or non-resident tax return. Here is my situation: For year 2003 and 2004, I was on F1 and filed 1040 NR with 8843 claiming exemption for the substantial presence test. For year 2005, I was on F1 from 1st Jan to 30th Sep, and H1-B...

Hot Basement Light Fixture [ 3 Answers ]

My hubby and I recently replaced one of those standard ceramic single light bulb fixtures with a pull-chain present in old basements. I noticed that it is getting very hot when only a 40 watt bulb is in it burning. When only the TV and VCR are plugged into it, it's fine - it doesn't get hot. ...

Replace light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a light fixture and am confused at all the wiring here. I have two red wires connected to ea other and two black wires connected to ea other. Besides that I have two white wires that were used to connect my old fixture which had two clear plastic covered copper wires. My new light...

View more questions Search