Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pioneercole's Avatar
    pioneercole Posts: 3, Reputation: 0
    New Member
     
    #1

    Jan 31, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Breeding Dachshunds
    I have two mini Dachshunds breeding for the first time, How do I know the female may be pregnect?:rolleyes:
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #2

    Jan 31, 2009, 01:49 PM

    If you don't know, you shouldn't be breeding them! Do you know how many dogs will have to die just so you can breed more, without the knowledge that you need to do so? I'm not going to give you information about that. This is something you think about before you wrecklessly breed more unwanted dogs into this overpopulated dog world. Do your research please! No one here is going to help a backyard breeder.

    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...rs-285842.html
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert
     
    #3

    Jan 31, 2009, 02:19 PM

    Backyard breeding is the worst thing you can do. Breeding dogs is more than just getting a male and a female together and hoping to get puppies. In order to be a legitimate, caring, good breeder, you have to do your research, pay for testing for both the male and the female and many other things.

    Educated legitimate breeding costs a lot of money, because the breeder cares about the breed of the dog and the blood lines being passed on.

    You can't even spell pregnant, maybe that's a sign that you shouldn't be breeding.

    Please don't do it, there are enough puppies being born to backyard breeders and puppy mills, millions of dogs are killed each year because people who shouldn't be breeding are.

    Also, what's with everyone wanting to breed dachshunds? That's all we're getting lately. :(
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #4

    Jan 31, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pioneercole View Post
    I have two mini Dachshunds breeding for the first time, How do I know the female may be pregnect?:rolleyes:
    Just the rolling of the eyes tells me that you don't know what in the world you're doing. I hope your female isn't "pregnant," and you have the compassion within you to get your dogs spayed and neutered. Do you know about the increased health risks to your dogs if you don't? Probably not. They have a higher risk of cancer just to name one, among many other health problems. Please do the "right" thing!
    labman's Avatar
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member
     
    #5

    Jan 31, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Somehow this forum has always attracted people that know too little to be breeding mini Dachshunds.
    Silverfoxkit's Avatar
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264
    Senior Member
     
    #6

    Jan 31, 2009, 07:31 PM

    There are far too many homeless dachshunds out there, and sadly twice as many people wanting to breed them! The last time I visited the humane society there were 6 purebred dachshunds there, one of which had been purposely lit on fire. The poor dear was so sweet and loving. It never ceases to amaze me how dogs can still love us humans after something like that is done to them, and how any creature is capable of the viciousness to do such an act to any living creature. Breeding thoughtlessly is almost just as cruel. You put the mother through the strain of pregnancy and birth and guarantee the deaths of others. Some shelters still even use heart stick euthanasia! Yes that's right, they stab the dog in the heart. No, its not kind, or a gentle way to go. In fact here,s a little true story for you.

    In the words of Gabby: My name is Gabby and I was dropped off at the Rushville Indiana Animal Shelter because my owners didn't want me. I remember that day like it was yesterday. My person grabbed my leash and collar and walked me to the car. I was soooo excited! I was going to get to go on a car ride! Yippie! We drove up one street and down the other. I had my head sticking out the window with the cold winter breeze blowing my ears up. And then it happened. I saw this run down shack of a building with the words "Animal Shelter" written on the side with a big white box setting outside the door. I asked myself, "What is an animal shelter"? I soon found out and little did I know that big white box was going to be where they threw my body after they killed me.

    I lay four days under a pile of other dead animals, no food or water. Then I saw a bright light and for a minute thought I was going over Rainbow Bridge to find peace at last. Instead it was my hero, Jamie Glandon, who came to rescue me, give me a bath, warm me, hold and comfort me until I quit shaking, and take me to the doctor.

    Gabby is a shepard mix was euthanized on Monday November 12. Four days later shelter worker Jamie Glandon went into the walk in cooler to dispose of a body, when Gabby raised her head. Buried neck deep, in a barrel, under other dead animals.

    Jamie immediately removed Gabby from the cooler and called the Head Dog Warden, Jack Hill, she was told to take the dog to a local vet and have her euthanized again. Jamie refused, instead phoned the vet to have Gabby examined. Gabby now is safely into rescue and under veterinary care.

    Jamie has been placed on administrative leave for her courageous and compassionate act. She could lose her job and face potential criminal charges, all for saving a puppy's life.

    It gets worse. This is the third failed euthanasia reported at the shelter since September. First, a border collie who had to be euthanized three times before death resulted. Second, a litter of 3 black lab puppies had to be euthanized multiple times before death resulted.

    The euthanasia procedure is INHUMANE. Instead of finding a vein, as a veterinarian would do, the dog instead is injected directly into the heart. There is no sedation given, and death is slow and painful, the animal fully aware. In the two previous instances of failed euthanasia the dogs weren't even given the dignity of being removed from the piles of other dead animals, simply injected where they lay.

    (This article is a little over a year old. )
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #7

    Jan 31, 2009, 08:10 PM

    Silver, any living, breathing, caring, compassionate, dog lover that could read that without getting nauseous, and tears running down their face, and realizing that backyard breeding is WRONG, is someone that should not have the "right" to own a dog period! It makes me so damn mad and just sick!

    I have neighbours at the end of the block from me, and I've tried everything I can, short of breaking the law to stop what they are doing. They are breeding dogs like crazy. They are trading them for drugs. I've called the police, animal control, SPCA, every agency I can think of, and the next week they have got new dogs, and they are breeding again! I'm so angry that this is happening in my own neighbourhood, and I can't do anything to stop it.

    Maybe I do have to go outside of the law, and just go and rescue (steal) these poor dogs, in order to put a stop to it! Our temperatures have gotten down as low as -43 degrees. (FYI, same temp in Celsius and Farenheit) The dogs are left outside. I've reported them many times, and nothing ever seems to happen. I don't know why they haven't been charged with animal abuse!
    Silverfoxkit's Avatar
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264
    Senior Member
     
    #8

    Jan 31, 2009, 10:16 PM

    The problem is people are ignorant, or they just don't care. Often they lie to themselves. "I'll make sure MY puppies go to good homes. MY puppies will never end up in the pound. They ignore the fact that even if they are right, that just means another puppy is going to take your puppies place. Because they bought your cuddly puppy, they didn't adopt the other, and it costed that puppy its life. Too bad no town would ever allow a billboard with the images of barrels of dead puppies and dogs from the pound, caption like "This happens every time your dog has puppies." It would make anyone sick who looked at it, but just maybe that's what it would take. See you can push words out of your mind, but images stick with you forever.
    pioneercole's Avatar
    pioneercole Posts: 3, Reputation: 0
    New Member
     
    #9

    Feb 2, 2009, 07:27 PM

    I am the dachshund breeder for first time, my dogs are papered and come from a long line of beautiful mini dogs. However, this is my first time breeding and was just getting imput from other breeders. If everybody neutered their dogs It could end there population. I am not a puppy mill I have a beautiful home and clean surroundings for the dogs. They are very loved and already have people who want a puppy. They are not the most expensive dogs to buy. I'm wanted to try it and see how successful this is. And I am very involved with the SPCA
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #10

    Feb 2, 2009, 08:00 PM

    So you are saying you want this to be a lucrative investment for you. All dogs are beautiful! But DO remember that other dogs have to die, because your dogs are cute. If you are involved with the SPCA, you should know how many dogs are homeless and have to die. If you love your dogs, you will not let another dog die for them. When you hug your new puppy at night, do you say to her, I loved you soooo much that I killed another, just so I could have you, and you could have more? Having a beautiful home, clean and loving surroundings, does not mitigate the fact that you are breeding more dogs without a license or knowledge to do so.

    I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just sticking up for the voiceless defenseless dogs! They don't have a voice, so I have chosen to speak for them. I know if they could speak, they would beg you not to let their friends die for them.

    The dogs you have may be papered, and I'm sure they are beautiful, but you still have to get their DNA tested, and be a licensed breeder. There is a lot of cost involved if you want to do this in a responsible way. You don't have the knowledge to be doing this in the responsible manner.

    What are going to be your criteria when "selling" these puppies? Are you going to have a stipulation that they are spayed or neutered at the age of 8 months, or they will be taken back? Do you know the cost of initial shots, or what to do if one of the puppies contract parvo? Do you know the symptoms of that disease and are you prepared for that? Have you thought ahead of time about what you contract will include to ensure the safety of these puppies? Do you know what to do when the mother gives birth and has problems? Do you know what to do if a pup is stillborn, or born with a defect?

    I could go on and on. I can tell from your question that you really don't know any of these things, and therefore should not be breeding. Your SPCA will tell you the same thing. They are low on funding because of irresponsible and ill-informed breeders such as you. They don't have the funds to feed them, the room to put them, the funds to vaccinate them. So they have to KILL them! Everyone that is thinking of breeding more dogs into this world should have to watch a dog be put to death.

    Please read this link... and I hope you watched the other I posted. If not, I will post it again, to make it easy.

    By the way, did you take your dog to the vet? 8 months old is too young to have a litter, and the health of the puppies born to such a young female could be of great risk to your dog as well as her young!

    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/d...me-291557.html

    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...rs-285842.html
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #11

    Feb 2, 2009, 08:11 PM

    Also, it's up to you. I can't stop you. But if you love your dogs like you claim, and you are involved with the SPCA, and you are a good person with a kind heart for dogs, you will put your energy elsewhere, and help out with some of the homeless dogs, that are just begging for a home, before they are put to death. I got my sweet little girl just one day before she was going to be "murdered!" I have never had such a beautiful, loving, greatful dog in my life as she! I know with all of my heart that she knows that I saved her from certain death. So if you think that just one litter or two won't matter, think again. You could have killed my dog.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert
     
    #12

    Feb 2, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pioneercole View Post
    I am the dachshund breeder for first time, my dogs are papered and come from a long line of beautiful mini dogs. However, this is my first time breeding and was just getting imput from other breeders. If everybody neutered their dogs It could end there population. I am not a puppy mill I have a beautiful home and clean surroundings for the dogs. They are very loved and already have people who want a puppy. They are not the most expensive dogs to buy. I'm wanted to try it and see how successful this is. And I am very involved with the SPCA
    Everyone doesn't neuter their dogs. I'm assuming that you got your dogs from a licensed breeder, that's who should be doing this, not you.

    I'm not saying that you shouldn't become a breeder, but it takes more then just putting a male and female dog together and hoping for the best.

    Like Starby said, there's testing involved, licensing, lots of money and time. Do you know why breeders usually charge thousands of dollars for their dogs? Those breeders aren't actually making a lot if any profit off the pups. It's expensive to breed dogs, if you're doing it right.

    Love the dogs you have for their personality, get them fixed. Read up on breeding, get licensed, talk to legitimate breeders, do your research, put money aside for everything that is needed. When you have all the knowledge you need to breed, then, and only then, can you even consider it.

    Your question shows me that you are not ready to breed, not even close.
    pioneercole's Avatar
    pioneercole Posts: 3, Reputation: 0
    New Member
     
    #13

    Feb 2, 2009, 09:58 PM

    I love your positive attitude and she's not 8 month old.
    Do you have any kids? Their are many children who need a home, yet people still have babies.
    And human babies die as well, should we stop mother's from having children because they could or could not live or die.
    Think twice before you voice your opinion!
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #14

    Feb 2, 2009, 10:05 PM

    Whoa! That is not an argument there at all! You are the one that is in charge of this. Are you selling babies? In fact you are! Yes there is a problem with too many children being put in the adoption pipeline too, but you are contributing to the overpopulation of the dog world. Don't try to justify your lack of knowledge to me, by trying to turn it around and talking about human beings. This is what people do when they can't justify their own behaviour.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert
     
    #15

    Feb 2, 2009, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pioneercole View Post
    I love your positive attitude and she's not 8 month old.
    Do you have any kids? Thier are many children who need a home, yet people still have babies.
    And human babies die as well, should we stop mother's from having children because they could or could not live or die.
    Think twice before you voice your opinion!
    I have two kids, three dogs, 4 rabbits, a bird and a gold fish. Do you really want a contest about who should offer their opinion?

    Do millions of children die every year because of over breeding? Do your research, you claim to love dogs, you claim to want to learn to be a breeder. Well, if that's what you want then learn how to do it, don't just think you can because you happen to have a male and female dog.

    Tell you what. Go to the SPCA, ask to assist in euthanising a dog. Be forewarned, it doesn't always work the first try, they don't give the dog anything to stop the pain. It's a horrible experience. If, after that, and knowing that this happens to 100's-1000's of dogs every single day, you can still consider adding more dogs to the mix, then go for it, let it be on your conscious.

    I can't tell you not to do it, but I can refuse to help.
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #16

    Feb 2, 2009, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I have two kids, three dogs, 4 rabbits, a bird and a gold fish. Do you really want a contest about who should offer their opinion?

    Do millions of children die every year because of over breeding? Do your research, you claim to love dogs, you claim to want to learn to be a breeder. Well, if that's what you want then learn how to do it, don't just think you can because you happen to have a male and female dog.

    Tell you what. Go to the SPCA, ask to assist in euthanising a dog. Be forewarned, it doesn't always work the first try, they don't give the dog anything to stop the pain. It's a horrible experience. If, after that, and knowing that this happens to 100's-1000's of dogs every single day, you can still consider adding more dogs to the mix, then go for it, let it be on your conscious.

    I can't tell you not to do it, but I can refuse to help.
    I also refuse to help! This is a money making venture. Anyone who truly loves dogs would not even be considering such a thing. After all, it's not about the suffering of other dogs is it? It's all about the cash in the pocket!

    Do you know that all dogs aren't humanely euthanized? Some are electrocuted, some are stabbed in the heart, and other unacceptable methods! What Alty said is true! It doesn't always work the first time! Look in your dogs eyes, and tell her that you want her to have babies, but some of them may be stabbed in the heart while they are sitting in a cold cell, because they were forgotten and no one wanted them. And, don't tell me that they are ALL going to go to good homes. If they are not spayed and neutered, how do you know where their offspring are going either? You don't! One of them will be sitting behind bars with pleading eyes, just hoping that SOMEONE will come and get them before, by no fault of their own, they need to die to make room for more!

    So before you decide to not listen to what myself or Altenweg has to say, think about that. You are NOT going to get any advice on how to bring more puppies into this world from us! You asked for advice?. you're getting it.

    I only hope you choose to think about it, because you are just not understanding.
    uhhleesha's Avatar
    uhhleesha Posts: 105, Reputation: 21
    Junior Member
     
    #17

    Feb 2, 2009, 10:55 PM

    Copy Pasta from one of my other posts. I'm not feeling too witty right now.

    Wouldn't want to create more dogs to sell when there are so many dogs/cats/small animals in desperate need of a home. From what I read, more than eight million, yes you read that right eight million surplus dogs and cats are killed each year due to not having a home. Guess who gets to pick up the tab? You do as a tax payer. From what I can recall somewhere in the 300 million area.

    In theory, you're not going to make money off breeding pups if you take care of them like you're suppose to. Between vet bills, proper nutrition for the female, I doubt you're going to make a quick buck.
    starbuck8's Avatar
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten
     
    #18

    Feb 2, 2009, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uhhleesha View Post
    Copy Pasta from one of my other posts. I'm not feeling to witty right now.

    wouldn't want to create more dogs to sell when there are so many dogs/cats/small animals in desperate need of a home. From what I read, more than eight million, yes you read that right eight million surplus dogs and cats are killed each year due to not having a home. Guess who gets to pick up the tab? You do as a tax payer. From what I can recall somewhere in the 300 million area.

    In theory, you're not going to make money off breeding pups if you take care of them like you're suppose to. Between vet bills, proper nutrition for the female, I doubt you're going to make a quick buck.
    Making money off breeding dogs without a license and the knowledge is abuse... plain and simple. There is no excuse! A person can try and turn the focus away, and talk about the human overpopulation, but that is only done to divert the attention from the millions of animals that suffer and are killed everyday, because they don't have a home. Yes, WE pay for this with our Tax Dollars! I don't mind paying that money, so it may help our shelters and homeless pets. BUT, I do mind someone that is so unknowledgeable breeding more that "I" have to pay for, and watch their sad faces when they don't know why they have to die, because they had a wreckless owner that only wanted to make money by selling their "babies!" Disgusting!
    Silverfoxkit's Avatar
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264
    Senior Member
     
    #19

    Feb 2, 2009, 11:11 PM

    Yes, there are many children in need of adoption, but they were not born to make a buck, and they won't be killed for simply existing. If children were euthanized, then you might be working in the direction of a valid point. Not everyone deserves to be able to have children, and not everyone deserves to be able to breed dogs either!
    Silverfoxkit's Avatar
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264
    Senior Member
     
    #20

    Feb 2, 2009, 11:19 PM

    Although most people are aware that there are more dogs and cats being born than there are people willing to adopt them -- the actual number of unwanted dogs and cats is staggering. For example, did you know:

    a.. An estimated 52 million dogs and 57 million cats live with U.S. families.

    b.. For every human born, 7 puppies and kittens are born.

    c.. One female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 cats in 7 years.

    d.. One female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in 6 years.

    e.. More than 12 million dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters each year. Millions more are abandoned in rural and urban areas.

    f.. As many as 25% of dogs entering shelters each year are purebreds.

    g.. Approximately 61% of all dogs entering shelters are killed.

    h.. Approximately 75% of all cats entering shelters are killed.

    I.. It costs approximately $100 to capture, house, feed, and eventually kill each stray animal -- a cost which you, the taxpayer, eventually pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search


Check out some similar questions!

Miniature dachshunds [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 yr.old mini dachshunds is a few weeks pregnant. She has not eaten or drank water in 24hrs. I'm so worried about her. She has had some diarrhea, bleeding and vomit. She is about 6-7lbs. Healthy and active. Please only helpful comments PLEASE!

Breeding pure cream dachshunds [ 1 Answers ]

I want to eventually breed my pure cream mini long haired dachshund . What would be the best match for choosing the sire to maintain the cream genetic strain in the puppies?

Barking dachshunds [ 4 Answers ]

My three doxies bark non stop at my neighbor who lives behind me. They hate him and want to kill him I think. He is a total moron who started the problem by throwing things at them and yelling at them. Now whenever they here him in his yard they go beserk. He has confronted me about this and told...

Dachshunds and vitamins [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old dachshund that has been diagnosed with back problems. I have heard that vitamin C is great, but I'm not sure how much to give her? Can anyone help?


View more questions Search