Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccphishing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Just don't understand
    I am an independent 22 yr old male college student who goes to school full-time. I also work two jobs and between them make over $20,000/yr. I have done this for the last year and a half. Now my question is, even though I have have extra money taken out of every paycheck, my state and federal withholdings are always very little. On a $700 paycheck state maybe $18 and Federal maybe $50. At the end of the year, I always have to pay in so much that it is very difficult to cover the bill. What can I do to avoid this situation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 7, 2006, 02:11 PM
    First check what your withholdings are. Married, single, what.
    Next how many dependents are you claining.

Also since you are working two separate jobs, each check is fairly low, so they are taxing at that lower pay rate, they don't considered it as making more.

You can merely fill out a W4 and ask them to hold out 10 or 15 or more from each paycheck toward your taxes. Your personel manager should be able to help you, if not merely read though the W4 and refile with each employor according to your needs
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 7, 2006, 03:38 PM
    About $9,000 of your money is tax-free (due to standard deduction and personal exemption). This assumes you claim yourself on your tax return.

I also assume you are claiming the tuition credit of about $2,000.

Fr Chuck's advice is good. Take the time to read the entire W-4 instructions and be sure you are claiming as a single person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't understand? [ 9 Answers ]

Help Please! A few months ago my husband and I began trying to conceive. My cycle were always pretty normal before about 28-32 days. Now all of a sudden since we have been having unprotected sex they have completely flipped. They are only 20 days apart and not normal. Before I would start heavy and...

I don't understand [ 3 Answers ]

About 8 months ago I met someone that I became very interested in. This person also showed interest,I met him at my church. He is on a church mission right now in my town ,he can not date or get involved right now. He will be done with his mission in about 10 more months and he told me he hopes I...

Don't understand problem [ 1 Answers ]

I don't understand how to complete this problem: Find the minimum diameter of an 17.3 m long tungsten wire that will stretch no more than 9.43 mm when a load of 361 kg is hung on the lower end.

Need to understand [ 2 Answers ]

Of course if I was you I would ask why wouldn't I be able to go. Wait until she gives a reply. There could be a side to her that she doesn't want you to see! ::) There could be another male friend she's seeing. Don't get your hopes down she may just want to hang with the girls! After all it is...

View more questions Search