Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yasmin07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Islamic Boarding School
    My son is 11 years old and I am finding it extremely difficult to get him to focus on his Islamic studies or any other subject for that matter.

My main concern is that I do not want to fail him in his understanding of Islam when he becomes an adult.

I want to send him to an Islamic Boarding School, but so far he has failed all entrance exams. Our last option is to try for a school even further away from where we live. My son feels like he is being punished and say's that he just wants to be 'normal'.

Should I continue to insist on sending him to Islamic boarding school when he is so firmly against it?

Thank you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasmin07 View Post
    Should I continue to insist on sending him to Islamic boarding school when he is so firmly against it?
    Hello Yasmin:

Eleven years old is NOT old enough to make those kinds of judgments.

excon
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Assalaam alaikum,

I am not sure I understand the reason why your son needs to be sent to boarding school to learn Islam or other subjects.
    Are you or your family not able to teach him the basic religious teachings at home or somewhere nearby where he can stay at home and still be able to learn Islam and/or other subjects?

And what do you mean he is not able to focus on any subject? Does he have difficulty in retaining learned material or just learning itself?
    Have you tried different methods for him to learn,for some kids some methods work and for others it does not.

Personally, I would not like my child to be away from home for schooling at the age of 11,unless it is absolutely necessary and even then I would think more than twice before deciding.

And forcing him to attend boarding school,might really make him feel abandoned especially since you mentioned he already feels it is a punishment.

Why not try Islamic studies at home, involving the whole family in such study sessions will help the family to grow and bond well,plus everyone in the family benefits from good knowledge of Islam.

You might like to look at some of these links for Islamic syllabus-
    Salaam Education

Muslim Home Educators

Wa alaikum salaam
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2009, 06:23 PM

It sounds as if the child has a learning disability of some sort and "getting" rid of the child will not solve those issues.

At this age often some subjects are not as important as others. And you need to be working to help him learn all subjects and get a well rounded education.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Financial Assistance for Boarding School [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a single grandparent raising my grandson. I want to send him to a boarding school. I need help with financial assistance/grant/scholarships. Can you direct me?

Boarding school,what to do to prepare [ 1 Answers ]

Ok,this amazing boarding school is accepting some kids around my area ,which is las vegas, and I'm one of the few kids who can try to go to this all amazing boarding school for high school. I'm only 14,but I want to go really badly,but I'm a little scared. My mom doesn't really want me to but I do....

Funds for Boarding School [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the best place to look for educational grants ? I want to send my daughter to boarding school, of course I cannot afford it. I have looked on the internet at grant sites but have been unable to find any.

Looking for Islamic clip. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a film clip of a Muslim man beating his wife (hopefully not real footage.) I'm not sadist, I'm looking for this movie for a school project. I want to counter the clip with quotes taken from the Qu'ran.

Proxy Server at Boarding School [ 19 Answers ]

K I go to a boarding school which has a proxy server It has surf control, doesn't allow MSN or any Music Downloader And it also won't let me play my Online game(Star Wars Galaxies) What can I do to get around this and be able to do these thing? Please reply or e-mail me...

View more questions Search