Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zurvan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 07:46 AM
    Leak in a PVC Drain Connection
    Hi Everybody

Last night I discovered a leak in a joint of my bathtub drain. It's between the floors, and I found it when there was water coming through the ceiling.

It's at the top of the U, where it hooks in to a corner piece that in turn goes to a longer pipe in to the main drain. It only leaks when there's water draining out of the tub.

I want to avoid calling a plumber, if possible. Is there any reliable way to patch this without replacing the pipe all together?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 07:50 AM
    Zurvan:

If you can get to the area and clean it super well you may be able to use a PLASTIC EPOXY PUTTY (see picture.. found at home depot or lowes) to patch this leak.

Otherwise, if you can access the pipes well would be just about as quick to purchase a new ptrap, desanco fitting, a coupling, pipe, cement and primer and simply replace the trap altogether...

If you need more... let us know.

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 07:55 AM

PVC is relatively easy to repair. If your pipes are glued together than you will cut out the leaking U trap. Cut few inches behind the trap and few inches from the tub side. Buy exactly same trap, short piece of pipe, 2 couplings and glue. Cut new pieces of pipe. Use the old cut out trap as a guide and install.

If your drains are not glued (tubular PVC or ABS ) than first try to tighten in up a bit more at each joint. If it still leaks, loosen the joints and replace beveled washers. If leak still persists, than remove the trap, buy new one and reinstall.

Since your tub is on second floor, your trap and other drain joints should be glued.
    Zurvan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 08:01 AM

Potentially silly question - how do you cut the pipe? All I have is a cheapo hand saw and an electric circular saw - neither of which seems appropriate.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 08:03 AM

Use Hack-Saw with 18 teeth blade in it. Do not use wood saw. It produces very rough cut.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 08:17 AM
    Or purchase a sawzall... around $75.00 to $100 depending on which sawzall you purchase. You will definitely find other uses for this versatile saw... :)

They also sell a PVC saw... ;) Just more options for you.

MARK
    Attached Images

zosoplumber Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 05:18 PM

If it is tight quarters, you can buy a string saw, they sell them at any Lowe's or H.D.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 31, 2009, 05:30 PM
    You mean this saw zosoplumber?

Also another good option... :) However, I would have Zurvan make a practice cut on scrap piece of pipe before making that all so critical cut on the pipe in question!

Thanks...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement washer drain connection to existing floor drain [ 10 Answers ]

I am on city service. I would like to connect my basement washer drain into the existing floor drain (3" line). I cut the line about 3 feet down from floor trap and installed a 3x2inch y. This existing floor drain takes a 45 turn about 6" down from where I cut it. The 2 inch will drain the washer ....

Leak in connection between Disposal and pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have had a recurring problem when we feed our disposal something that it can't handle. The debris clogs at the trap or the T pipe. After clearing the debris I reconnect all of the pipes and test the for leaks I'm OK until I turn the disposal on with a moderate amount of water to clear....

How to fix leak from a PVC / chrome connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am having a problem with a p-trap I recently installed. There is a leak where the pvc pipe meets a chrome pipe coming from the wall. I used a plastic washer (I'm not sure exactly what it's called), so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Shower connection leak [ 9 Answers ]

My tub/shower unit was leaking onto my downstairs bathroom ceiling. The tub/shower unit is back to back with a stall shower. When we built our house we did leave a 12 inch access that we built a removeable cabinet for. Apparently the shower head unit is leaking where the copper pipe connects to...

Leak between sink & pvc connection [ 2 Answers ]

I recently installed a new sink in my bathroom. I bought new waste pvc pipes and installed them from the sink to the wall. I thought it was all working fine but I noticed that at the top of where the pvc pipe connects to the metal sink pipe I have seepage. Basically the water is not pouring out,...

View more questions Search