Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hellothere1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Jan 31, 2009, 07:06 AM
    I want red hair
    Hey I tried dying my hair red but it wasn't at strong as I'd hoped and now after about two weeks it's pretty much completely faded and is now light brown with a slight hint of red in certain lights. I really want a deep red. Not like pillarbox red but a dark but very strong red. How can I achieve this with home hair dye boxes and how can I maintain it? Thank you very much :)
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Feb 1, 2009, 05:55 AM

What is your natural hair colour?
    Reds tend to fade quite quickly. That's why there are colour enhancing shampoos and conditioners out there. They mix and bit of dye into the shampoo and conditioner to keep your colour vibrant.
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Feb 2, 2009, 08:29 PM

If you are wanting a color that is darker that your natural, the best way to keep it vibrant is to use a semi permanent hair color. This will not damage your hair if you need to color often. However, if your natural is darker, you will have to use a permanent color, and then refreshen with a semi permanent to keep the red bright. Punkchick is correct, reds fade quickly no matter what you do because red is the largest sized color molecule and the cortex of your hair has a hard time sealing it in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tone down or remove a semi permanent red hair dye over bleach blonde hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I am at my wits end! I had my hair professionally frosted about two months ago. I like the blonde, with my dark hair roots, but I wanted to add some red low lights with the blonde streaking throughout. However, I did not get the results I wanted. Now I have dark roots, and a multi blonde/red...

Hair folical body hair vs hair on head [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have had testing done for a while I tested positive from hair from my head although I did not use. I then tested from my body hair and came back negative. The head hair was 90 to 100 days back and the body test was back almost twelve months. I wish to find out which is the more definitive...

Is it safe to have 3 lots of hair dye in 1month to try and rectify hair disaster? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I posted yesterday, with no replies yet. Basically. I have got long hair which is dark brown (dyed) base and I had bleached blonde panels. I then wanted the panels red which my colourist did and it looiked great but after just 1 wash all the red had practically gone and I was left with...

Black hair to lighter hair.this is a long story, take heed first time dyers! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, here goes. I'm not a professional hair colourist, but I am a long standing veteran of home hair colour - I've had my hair all colours, all lengths, all styles and at the moment it's jet black. I've broken all the cardinal rules of hair colouring, and I can safely say that it's too much of a...

How do I make my hair go back to natural or lighter hair colour? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm from australia and a couple of days ago I dyed my hair to a permanent intense dark brown but it went to dark I would really like it to go lighter or back to my natural hair colour which is a light brown with a bit of blonde. I have been striping for the past few days is there anything I could...

View more questions Search