Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jlesnik33 Posts: 235, Reputation: 26

Jan 29, 2009, 09:28 PM
    This is actually about my goldfish.
    My goldfish has been very sick for about a week now. At first me and my girlfriend thought she had swim blatter. By feeding her peas (which I was told worked when they had swim blatter) helped her and she seemed fine for about a day and a half. That night we noticed her tail finn was not fully there any more. My girlfriend said the best thing to do is to flush her because she seems like she is in too much pain. Does anybody know anything about gold fish that can help me. As lame as this sounds I love every living thing and it does upset me.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2009, 09:38 PM

We've buried goldfish under the rose bushes, so you're not the only one to feel these things :)

Is your goldfish in a tank with other fish though, as you'll need to isolate it so the other fish stay healthy.

I guess you've cleaned the water?

Jan 31, 2009, 01:32 PM

Yes I have cleaned the water and there are other fish in the tank but there's nothing to do to make her to get better?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 03:32 PM
    You can treat with medication.

First, please never flush a fish down a toilet bowl when it's alive, especially because you think it's suffering.
    It's not going to die a fast painless death that way, it will suffer greatly in the sewer or septic tank before it dies.

What size tank and what other fish do you have with it?
    How long has the tank been up and running?
    Do you have a water test kit or dip stick where you could give me the readings for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Gh, Kh, and Ph?
    The more info you give me the better I'll be able to help you.

When you describe the tail missing, #1 it could be another fish nipping at her fins or it could be fin rot.

Jungle brand fungus fizz tabs are great at clearing up a large range of illnesses. If she has fin rot, that's what I'd recommend using.
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2009, 04:11 PM

This might also help:
    About.com: http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/fishtreatments.htm

If there are other fish in the tank, you do need to isolate the one that is sick. Put it in a plastic bag filled with water from the tank and rest the bag in a separate fish bowl with fresh water for around 10 minutes. Then put the fish in the bowl while you treat it.

Jan 31, 2009, 08:23 PM

I hate a 10 gallon tank, I have another goldfish in the tank, I do have a water testing kit the one with the paper tab that change color and you match it, My tank has been up and running for a little over two years now. And I do no for a fact the other fish has not been going after him, I have been paying close attention
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlesnik33 View Post
    I hate a 10 gallon tank, i have another goldfish in the tank, I do have a water testing kit the one with the paper tab that change color and you match it, My tank has been up and running for a little over two years now. and i do no for a fact the other fish has not been going after him, i have been paying close attention
    In this case, it could possibly be fin rot or another illness.
    Jungle brand fungus fizz tabs are a good choice of medication.
    It's always best to treat in an aquarium instead of a bowl.
    Good luck to you!
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2009, 10:20 PM

Sorry AKae, I was going on previous advice given from a pet shop when our fish was sick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish with a cut [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I'm new here. Okay, I have a 15 gallon tank with 2 goldfish in (biggest one, about 5-6 inches long, is the one with the problem). It must've happened last night as I don't recall seeing it yesterday. But I noticed not long ago what looked like 2 white bumps with red on them, one on his top lip...

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have two new goldfish just put into a fish bowl yesterday and now today the water is cloudy. What should I do?

My goldfish [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can I buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do I need ?

My goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my goldfish have been swimming around the top a lot. :confused: They will go a little above the water and come back down.:confused: They will go near the bubbles and come back down. Sometimes they will go all the way down. But most of the time they are swimming around the top. Why are they...

Goldfish Help [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a goldfish for 6 years and she has survived a lot of sickness! I live in a small apartment and am currently having some remodeling work done. Since the work has begun, my goldfish tank has become very cloudy and I believe it is from the incredible dust being caused by the construction....

View more questions Search