Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    efalcon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Filing using my ITIN and my wife wit SSN
    My wife is a US citizen and I am not a resident, if we file jointly do we qualify for any credits? i.e. earned income credit, child tax credit etc...
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 12:08 AM

You can file as married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separately. It is true even if one spouse is non-resident. In most cases, it is better to file as MFJ. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
    If you otherwise qualify, you can get the Child Tax and earned Income Credits if you file jointly with your wife.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1040EZ-Filing Joint-ITIN for my wife-What to write in 1040EZ [ 2 Answers ]

I am filing a joint return 1040EZ for me(SSN available and resident- I came to US on 26Aug 2007 on L1 ) and my wife( ITIN to be obtained using W7 and residing at India with L2 visa but not come to US) 1) Whether 1040EZ & W7 with all the documents like W2 and embassy notarized pp copy of my wife)...

I filed 2007 Tax return married filing jointly and used ITIN for my wife now got SSN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I filed my 2007 tax return(Married filing jointly) but I used ITIN for my wife, I heard to eligible for economic stimulas package both should have SSN, Now my wife received SSN , is there any possibility to amend my 2007 tax return with my wife SSN? Do you think that way I am eligible for...

Filing for an extension. Wife does not have ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student on F-1 visa (Resident alien) and filing form 4868 for deadline extension. I got married in oct 2007 and did not yet apply for my wife's ITIN number. In the 4868 form, what do I need write for my wife's SSN? Can I write "Will apply for ITIN" for her SSN? I do...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search