Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ArtN Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 09:46 PM
    Craftsman 22/5HP snow blower
    Hi, I purchase and older model (1997) Craftsman 22' 5 HP dual stage snow blower, and I have not operated one before, but needed to have one to do driveway. Now my first time operating was yesterday after 6" to 8" snow storm. I was being very careful and set RPM's low, just above the TURTLE, and applied the auger and went about 6', very little snow blew out of hopper and it got clogged, I stopped cleaned ou the thrower and started again, and same thing happen, the snow was rather powdery, but the thrower clogged and it turn to an ice type snow ball like.

All indications say, according to the manual that I could need to change the auger belt, upon taking apart the covering of the belt system, all looked well, the auger turns, and the impeller works fine. Does anyone know what I have done wrong, because it looks like I should have been able to remove snow.

Thanks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 10:28 PM

When you say turtle is that the gear you are in or the actual throttle. If the snow thrower isn't going fast enough then it will clog. The basic here is full throttle and lower gear. So if you were low on throttle then that's the problem. If not then the auger belt is slipping and not spinning fast enough

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    wuizzie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 03:59 PM
    I have a canadian noma 5hp snowblower that the auger will not when trying to engage will not turn and motor will cut out
    DylanCrap Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 02:23 PM
    You have the throttle set on 'Turtle' which means slow. You have to bring the throttle up to full or 'Fast' - there's a usually a 'Rabbit' for the fast setting.

Your snowblower will not throw snow if the engine is set to slow. It needs full power to launch that crystallized feces mother nature keeps crapping upon us during the colder months.

Speaking of solid waste, I've used a Toro electric power shovel to launch dog feces onto my neighbour's garage roof from time to time... I can't tell you how much fun this is when you're drunk.
    hondaron Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Chain to drive axle came off, when I re-attached it, it seemed to have a lot of play in it, is there a chain tensioner somewhere and I'm not seeing it? By the way I have a 1993 craftsman 5hp 22" model with knobby tires, not tracks, suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman model#31A-3BDE799 Snow Blower 5.5hp [ 8 Answers ]

The snowblower is two years old and when the bar to engage the auger is held down the auger will not rotate. Any ideas?

Craftsman Snow Thrower [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Does any one know if a 1997 Craftsman Snow Thower (for Lawn Tractor) model 842240531 will fit on 2006 Lawn Tractors model 917.287261 or model 917.28705? Thanks

Craftsman snow plow on a whites tractor [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if I can attach a craftsman plow onto a white 1989 38" deck lawn tractor? Lawrence

Snow blade for 1986 craftsman tractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1986 craftsman tractor 12 hp ohv tecumseh, #917 255.741, I recently bought a snow blade #917 253.170 I need to know if it fits ,and I need a manual for it. I have tried Sears in my area (Reno NV). they don't have any knowledge on older Sears tractors. Help Pete

Snow blower not picking up snow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Noma 5.0 HP snow blower that is not working correctly. The shears are not turning and picking up the snow. I've checked the shear pins, but they seem to be in good condition. What else should I check? Thanks

View more questions Search