Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angyz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 03:37 PM
    How do I file my tax return on J1 Visa?
    I am an Australian Citizen but spent last year working in America on a J1 visa. I just received a W-2 Wage Summary and wanted to know how I go about filing my tax return. I am now back in Australia, can it be done online?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 11:12 AM
    You probably cannot file on-line, because, more than likely, you will file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, plus Form 8843.

These forms MUST be mailed; they cannot be efiled.

If you need professional help, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File tax return on B2 visa (staying long time but not working) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Here is the scenario: A person has spent a lot of time in the US over the past two years, but is here on a B2 tourist visa (granted for a year at a time as co/habitant partner). The person stays with someone who lives and work here on a E2 visa. Last year she was here around 190 days....

TN Visa, married need ITIN to file return [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Here is my scenario: 1) I am working in US under TN Visa and I have SSN 2) Got married in Canada in November, 2007 3) My wife lives in Canada and she was never in US

Does I need to file the tax return with L1-B VISA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The background of my wife and I is: I am working for MMM company on L1-B Visa from Aug 17, 2007. My L1-B status will expire on July 9, 2008 and it may be extended to July 9, 2009. I get payroll from MMM company's subsidiary company in China. So I get china payroll

What do I file for j-1 visa tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear tax experts I worked in the USA last 2007 winter for 3 months with a j-1 visa. I would like to know what forms I need to file to IRS so I can get my refund, or if its not case, to pay the amount I owe to them. Im am non dependent and don't have anyone who depends on me (child, etc). ...

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

View more questions Search