Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BettyW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Can the father's of my boy's rights be terminated?
    I have an 8 yr old son who has only seen his father,maybe 3 times since he has been born. He lives in Maine and barely pays Child Support. He has been out of his life for well over a consecutive year. My other son is 5 years old and has only seen his father 6 times since our divorce in 2004. He had not seen him for a consecutive year prior to our divorce and as of this month it has been another concecutive year. I live in Indiana and I have been told by an attorny here that if the non custodial parent is not in the child's life or if they do not pay child support for a consecutive year,then their rights are terminated. I was wondering if anyone knew if that was still the law? Also, my fiancée wants to adopt my boys when we get married in July and I was wanting to know if he will be able to adopt them without any concent from either father,since they are not in their lives?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2009, 07:45 PM

If you read through a few of the hundreds of similar threads in this forum you will find the answer.

Wait until you are married then hire a layer to prepare the adoption. You will have to get the father to relinquish rights, the attorney will advise how.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my ex's parental rights be terminated on the cause of abandonment? [ 3 Answers ]

Can I get my ex's parental rights terminated? I have not heard from him since he moved almost 2 years ago. He moves all the time and owes over $7500 in back child support. Sometimes I receive payments and can go months without payments. The fights with the courts go on and on and just as soon as...

Terminated parental rights/adoption [ 10 Answers ]

I need some advice or direction in regards to my parental rights being terminated and my daughter being adopted. Do I have any rights? What can I do? Is there any hope? I miss my daughter. Please help me

Terminated rights and child support [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband voluntarily terminated his rights. The court terminated his rights after I agreed. I agreed to this because of abuse. He had a lot of $ and did not want 2 pay child support. Jump forward 9 years. Was I legally supposed to receive no child support?

Adoption by biological parent after rights terminated [ 1 Answers ]

After my parental rights were terminated in 2001. The family who adopted my child wishes to relinquish custody. Which method do I use to adopt? Adoption by a Relative or Independent adoption, I have noticed both methods use the very same paperwork except the Indepent uses a preassessment form, any...

How to have one parent rights terminated [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to have my daughters father rights terminated. He has nothing to do with her. Unless his sister takes her over there. But I just found out that when she goes over he has nothing to do with her. He pay childsupport but its nothing. He said he would sign his rights over but, I'm in...

View more questions Search