Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lgardini48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 04:47 PM
    framing walls in basement
    I will be framing "floating" walls in my basement using 2x4's. Framing a wall perpendicular to the "engineered" floor joist is not problem, but how do I handle a wall that runs parallel to the floor joist and is located between the joist, not directly on a joist? Keep in mind this is an engineered joist and not a solid joist.

Thanks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2009, 04:45 PM

If you feel tacking a 2by nailer in between the I joist bay is to structurally bad then cut the 2by to fit sung between joist and use construction adhesive to attach to engineered joist. Gluing the butt end of 2by and at the bottom ply lip on the I joist. Build that down the thickness of th flat of the engineered I joist. I'm assuming this is what your are talking about and not a Micro lamb either or there is your cross piece as a nailer for the paralled stud wall.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    antherwin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 10:32 PM
    Toenail 2x4 between the joist every 2ft than nail top plate to the boards between joist. If your putting in a drop ceiling you can nail boards to the bottom of the joist than nail top plates to the boards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing 10' basement walls [ 3 Answers ]

hELLO, I am beginning to frame my basement up for drywall. The foundation walls are 10'. Would it be wise to use 2 x 6 inplace of 2 x 4? Hanging rock (4 X 8) horizontal or vertical? Where do I put the 2' foot remnant drywall on bottom or top? Thanks in advance, Greg.

Framing walls and ceilings for drywall [ 1 Answers ]

How much space should I have between framing studs and plumbing/electrical pipes? Can interior "walls" be norrower than the usual 4"? can i use the 2x4 with the 4" side flush To the ceiling to maximize height of ceiling? How much skill will I need to mud the drywall After it is installed? ...

Framing walls? [ 10 Answers ]

Do framed interior walls that sit on top of concrete basement floors need pressure treated wood for the base?

Soot on walls, shadows of framing visible on ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

We have a trane gas furnace, have noticed light film of soot on walls and just about everything else in the house. Can see shadows of wall framing on some walls and ceiling. It is quite noticeable around registers on floor on carpet and at baseboard on exterior walls. Had 2 different heating...

View more questions Search