Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ranga_Navile Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 09:13 AM
    What is the ideal time to travel between home country and US to avoid dual taxation?
    Hi,
    I am an Indian citizen and was deputed to the US on L1 visa way back in 2006 from my employer who has offices in both India and USA. I am now scheduled to return back to India by April 18, 2009 and continue my work from India.

This means, in the fiscal 2009, I would earn salary in US$ until April 18th and subsequently, in INR for the rest of the financial year.

I know I have to file my US 2009 returns next year while in India for the income earned in the US.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I declare the income and taxes paid in US while filing my returns in India next year ?
    2) If I would be subjected to dual taxation, is there a way for me to avoid this by returning earlier to India? What is the ideal time for people in this situation to travel on either direction to avoid dual taxation?

Thanks
    Ranga
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Ranga:

For 2008, you will file as a resident alien, filing Form 1040.

For 2009, you will file as a dual-status alien, filing BOTH Forms 1040 and 1040NR. You will pay taxes to the U.S. on world-wide income earned and receive while located and working inside the U.S. Hence, there is NO ideal travel time unless you choose to wait about 21 December 2009, in which case you can file as a resident alien for 2009 as well.

Finally, if you return to the U.S. on another L visa in 2010, you can file as a resident alien for 2009 under continuous presence.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 09:59 PM

For your question on India taxes, post it at mytaxes - Index

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there tax deduction for home loan in other country for property in that country? [ 6 Answers ]

If a person is carrying a home loan in some other country (outside US) for some property in that country is there any tax relief/deduction from IRS for such person ?

Taxation of Dual Status Aliens [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm a bit confused about the instructions given by the IRS on taxation of Dual Status aliens: Taxation of Dual-Status Aliens There is a section that says: "For The Part of The Year You are a Nonresident Alien:

Georgia's avoid doble taxation agreement [ 1 Answers ]

How many avoid double taxation agreement has Georgia? And with which country?

Can I claim travel to home country expense to stamp H1B? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working in US under H1B since Oct 2006 and I am a Malaysian citizen. I went back to Malaysia in December 2007 to get my H1B visa stamped, can I claim the travel expense - airfare, fees, etc? If so, can I claim 100% of the expenses? And, are there specific forms to file the claim on? Thanks...

US Citizen Working In India For Less Than Six Months - How To Avoid Double Taxation? [ 5 Answers ]

I looked around Ask Me Help Desk and didn't find my specific question answered - so I figure I'll post it. I am a US citizen that accepted employment with an Indian company. My total stay in India is under 183 days and I was paid in Indian Rupees (not a ton of money - under $10K) . My tax was...

View more questions Search