Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    menwork Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 02:31 PM
    Direct vent gas fireplace chimney height
    What is the rule or height of a chimney for a roof vented direct vent fireplace gas furnace?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 05:39 PM

Should be at least 36" higher than roof surface.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 05:42 PM
    The code standard > The chimney must extend at least 2 feet above any portion of any structure within 10 feet (measured horizontally) AND must extend at least 3 feet above the highest point of its roof penetration.This rule has been modified or changed in many jurisdictions who now accept manufactures install instructions.

Most inspectors now rely on the manufactures install instructions since the manufactures instructions overrule most code sections. The reason for this is the fact that when the code was written back in the 1920 or there about we had limited venting and chimney assemblies to deal with. Today there are a much larger variety of chimney or venting options with the advent of high efficiency furnaces and in your case direct vent fireplaces. These items did not exist back then and that is the reason the manufacturers instructions are so important. UL and CSA do the majority of the fire testing on these devices and actually dictate how the instructions are written or modified in many cases. Since these testing agencies have proven over time how good of a job they do the manufactures install instructions are now accepted not only in the USA but around the world as the basis for a proper install.

As a general rule most direct vented fireplaces exit out a side wall of the home but I have seen some that do go out the roof.

In your case follow the directions that came with the unit. If you cannot find them contact the manufacturer or search for there directions on there web site.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Direct-Vent Fireplace a good source for heat? [ 2 Answers ]

Now that the winter is setting in my husband and I continue to argue whether it is worth running our Superior direct vent fireplace... So does it help heat the house or is it a waste of energy - it was installed in 2000. The model is DVT6. Thanks for any information... it does have a blower fan...

Increasing chimney / flue height [ 9 Answers ]

My house has a gable roof. The chimney is not centered at the roof apex, but comes through the roof slightly downslope (maybe 12 - 18 inches or so) from the highest part of the roof. The chimney cap extends through the roof and is basically equal in height to the highest point of the roof, and...

Fireplace insert- chimney [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We recently had our chimney cleaned, costing $160. We have a fireplace insert. The person who cleaned it said our chimney was not safe without a liner-it does have flute. He estimated us $1300 ot put one in and said I don't feel comfortable with you using it. I called my insurance and...

Chimney Height Requirements [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a new chimney built and I understand the 2-10-3 rule regarding height. But I don't know if I'm allowed to include a chimney cap as part of the measurement. Any help appreciated.

View more questions Search