Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Removing dark hair color
    I have dyed my hair black back a few months ago and just recently dyed my hair red, but it only took to my roots. My hair looks aweful. Is there a home rememdy I can use to get all the hair colors out? I heard I can use hair bleach and shampoo. Will it lighten the hair colors or will it leave my hair orange?
    spanglish30 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2009, 08:01 PM
    So now your hair probably has a dark cherry red accent or hue to it?Because you added onto the black.So your roots are probably virgin hair I'm assuming?Depending on when you did the black(how many weeks ago).So the regrowth being it's virgin would grab red or orange.Is your natural color a light ash brown or reddish brown would you say?Or even a dark blonde?Hmmmm all these questions play a factor into how we are going to get your hair back to a decent color.If you haven't already by now.I would suggest to go to a professional that specializes in "color correction" because they have the experience and the knowledge of what to do.Also be up front with them on what color brand you used and any other color shampoos you may have used in the past.always be honest!!
    Okay ,so say you don't have the money to do that.Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply store near you?If so, go there!! They also have a lot of knowledge on repairs.Alot of them are licensed cosmetologists.So you could try shampoo mixed with bleach and developer like 20 vol. or 30 vol. but leave in for 5 min. because it will pull up to that orange fast! Then you want to rebuild your base.okay so it's now orange all over after you did the lifting. So you want to buy something called a "filler" it's a conditioner you put in after you shampoo and leave in your hair before you fix the color.You can find it at Sally's.Get a color that states Ash(stay away from anything that says"Golden,red etc"If you find any neutral brown get that and mix it with the ash.Your trying to rebuild your color.So try that and let me know!! Good luck. Hasta! SPANGLISH30
    jenn4094u Posts: 128, Reputation: 6

Jan 20, 2009, 09:58 AM

Color correction isn't something I usually reccommenc you try on your own, because it is complicated.The associates at Sally's are not always Cosmetologists, so be careful! Also, stripping your hair from black should be done in steps. You can't go from black to blonde in one day without RUINING your hair! You could try to strip it with bleach and 20 volume developer, leave it on about 20 minutes, then see what you have and go back to Sally's to find something to neutrilize whatever color you've ended up with. It is a science, so, if you don't understand it, find someone who does to help you, Please!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Removing Dark Hair Color [ 33 Answers ]

I have colored my hair at home for the last year. It has gotten almost black and I want a more medium brown. My 3 inch roots are the way I want my color but I'm getting anxious about the rest of it. I have read about all kinds of home remedies... prell, dawn dish det. etc. they just don't seem to...

Removing dark hair color [ 5 Answers ]

hello everyone, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me cos my hairs driving me mad! I used to have bleach blond hair until last year when I died it mid brown at the hairdressers, since then I've bin getting it done regularly n now its really dark brown that also has a red color in...

Removing Dark Dye From Color Treated (Damaged) Hair [ 2 Answers ]

So here's my (condensed) story. A bit over a year ago, I dyed my light blonde hair brown. I experimented w/ brown shades for about three to four months... reddish brown, blackish, dark brown, chocolate, light brown, etc. It was dyed about 7 times in a matter of fifteen weeks or so. It was still...

Removing color from dying hair too dark [ 5 Answers ]

I have medium to dark brown hair. I used Clairol's Natural Dark medium golden brown color and the color came out way too dark, closer to black. What can I use to lighten the color without hurting my hair?

View more questions Search