Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joemalta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Water closet vent
    I know 2 inch is a standard vent for a water closet with a 3 inch drain. I have seen an illustration using a 1 1/2 inch drain at the water closet. I need to run a 1 1/2 inch vent from a low heel 3 inch elbow to fit in the space I have. Can I run this for the first 4 feet horizontally until I can go 2 inch vertically?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2009, 01:30 AM

I will probably get hammered here by the other answer experts. 1 1/2 is not to code in my area An it must be 2' vent but I see many of our old cast lines use 1 2/2 vents off the toilet soil line and work fine. The closer to the closet flange you can get the better. Code here is within 5' of the flange. Since you are up sizing it to a two that is where the real issues on all venting for air volume to get to the soil line. If you think about it the low flush toilets are a lot less to vent because of a short bust of liquid and waste. Not like the old gallons of tanks.
    As long as you keep the 1 1/2 horizontal slanted as best as you can get and its such a short distance. Is this getting inspected? If not I would go for it Ive seen tons of 1 1/2 vents that work fine on the very old toilet soil lines
    fondomatz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2009, 05:02 AM
    UPC say's 2". Keep in mind if the line is visible and not behind a wall when you go to sell your home and it is inspected the home inspector will probably make you change it.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 06:16 AM

Yes, Code says 2" and I also believe it should be 2". But 1 1/2" is certainly better than no vent at all. Question: How is it that you have room for 1 1/2" vent and don't have room for 2" vent ? Just curious...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Our code will allow a 1 1/2 vent but our inspectors push for 2" vents with one 3" vent. Usually off the kitchem sink. Like Milo sez." A 1 1/2" is certainly better than no vent at all." Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power vent water heater verus a direct vent water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a leaking 40 gallon reliance gas water heater. The former owner put in a regular (not power or direct vent water heater) illegally. I want to replace the heater with a power vent model but there is no electricity in tbe closet. In addition, if there is a power outage, there will be...

R&R furnace to HE in Closet, can I seal vent holes? [ 1 Answers ]

Removed old down-draft gas furnace in closet area and replaced with High Efficiency down-draft. Combustion air vented from outside as well as exhaust. Not a typical straight up through roof or chimney, but through a exterior wall. All the necessary ends for both feeds are in place. The question...

What to do about a new studer vent that still pushes water from vent top [ 2 Answers ]

I have just installed a new studer vent that is above counter top ( w stainless cap). The drain is coming form the dish washer and up to the vent and supposedly to the outer drain, but some of the water backs up into the drain and I have to cut the dish washer off . Why is this happening

Occasional Blocked Water Closet [ 1 Answers ]

Our water closet occasionally gets blocked, sometimes one flush is enough, but on other days we need to use a plunger. What could be the reason that is causing this We even regulary pour sosa to prevent blockage, but again and again it comes back

Replacing water closet flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing sub-floor and water closet in an existing bathroom. The existing soil pipe is cast iron. The existing flange appears to be an inst-set flange. It seems to be set over the existing soil pipe with a lead joint. My question is: Can I use an inside PVC flange and leave the existing...

View more questions Search