Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hezzy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Can I be forced to sell an asset to pay a law suit
    My 16 yr old daughter was involved in an accident resulting in a pedestrian being injured. Of course, this pedestrian was trying to play chicken with her car according to a relative of the pedestrian.

I only had the minimum amount of liablility insurance. He needed an operation on his leg and now the medical bills are more than my insurance covers. Can I be forced to sell my home or the property next to me that I own to pay these medical bills? I'm not trying to get out of paying them, but I don't want to lose something I've worked hard for because some kid was being stupid. If my wages are garnished, is there a set amount in Pennsylvania that they will take from me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hezzy1 View Post
    My 16 yr old daughter was involved in an accident resulting in a pedestrian being injured. Of course, this pedestrian was trying to play chicken with her car according to a relative of the pedestrian.

I only had the minimum amount of liablility insurance. He needed an operation on his leg and now the medical bills are more than my insurance covers. Can I be forced to sell my home or the property next to me that I own to pay these medical bills? I'm not trying to get out of paying them, but I don't want to lose something I've worked hard for because some kid was being stupid. If my wages are garnished, is there a set amount in Pennsylvania that they will take from me?

Has your insurance company taken statements from the witnesses in order to determine fault or percentage of fault?

You need an Attorney if the claim is more than your insurance. This is nothing to guess about. For starters if there is a Judgment based on an auto accident you can lose your driver license until the Judgment is paid.

You need an Attorney to advise you of your rights and what can and cannot be done. Very often if there is not insurance an Attorney won't take the case - the Attorney gets paid his percentage right up front and if there is nothing to pay with, there is no lawsuit filed.

(I investigate liability matters in NY.)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2009, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hezzy1 View Post
    I've worked hard for because some kid was being stupid.
    Hello h:

As Judy indicated, if he jumped out in front of your daughters car, you might not owe ANYTHING... You only pay if your daughter was negligent...

Make CERTAIN that your insurance company knows that. THEY'RE the ones who are going to have to defend your daughter.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed asset or Intangible asset [ 4 Answers ]

Is the U.S. Treasury Note. A Fixed or Intangible Assets.

May need to force the sell of house via partition suit [ 1 Answers ]

Case description: After Florida probate, my stepson owns 25% of house and I owe 75%. For round numbers, the house is worth maybe $200,000. The stepson has lived in it since 1992. When I told him in July '07 that I needed to liquidate my portion, he quit paying me rent and refuses to discuss any...

Law suit [ 2 Answers ]

I actually have 2 questions.. I have a friend who's husband died a couple of years ago. He left her his Big Rig and she sold it for $20K. SHe also gained a house, however the family of her husband appealed the will in order to get the house. My friend filed a lawsuit and ended up giving the house...

A suit? [ 9 Answers ]

It is a suit that is worn by the groom in a wedding right? I am positive that is it, but for some reason a tux keeps popping into my head too.

How efficient is it to convert gas forced air to electric forced air? [ 1 Answers ]

I am afraid of a gas furnace, for fear of an explosion. I have had this fear since I was a little boy. Hence, I simply must have an electric heating system. However, the area in the MidWest where I have been considering has almost no electric homes, mostly because of the high electric rates...

View more questions Search