Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnea orlando Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Pssible frozen pipe on second floor?
    Hi, I live in a two story house and we put the heat down at night on second floor for sleeping. The temp was about 57 upstairas but was below zeero outside last night. Now the heating zone on that floor is not working and there is no water coming out of the spout in the upstasirs bathroom. There is water coming out of the sink and the toilet flushes though. What should I do?
    L. Orlando
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Jan 18, 2009, 03:06 AM

Sounds like a frozen pipe to me. Happened to us 2 nights ago also. (We're in NY. 5 degrees F.)

The real trick to consider is whether there is also a pipe break from the freeze.

Here's what we did: the area that froze was behind a wall and in a ceiling (below). I first shut off the main valve (in case the pipe was burst and leaked when the freeze thawed.) I then opened the faucet that froze. Then I held a blow dryer to the exposed pipes nearest the freeze (underneath the sink). This took a while. It finally melted and a little water came out of the faucet.

In the basement ceiling (under the frozen sink above), I could now hear water. A pipe HAD burst. (Thankfully, the water main was now off.) I found the leaking area, cut the drywall away, and replaced the offending section of pipe. (You could also use waterproof epoxy patch.)

Important next step: I insulated the heck out of everything -- fiberglass in the ceiling and wall under the sink, GreatStuff in the cracks, polyethelyne on the pipes. I'm not having this happen again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Think I might have a frozen pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Current cold snap in portland or. Yesterday morning I had no hot water in the kitchen sink. Cold water works but not a drip when you move the handle to the hot side. Dishwasher is right by the sink and when I turn it on no water makes it to the dishwasher. Hot water works in the rest of the...

Frozen outside pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I found water under my inside A/C unit & outside pipe was frozen. I turned off A/C & let thraw & changed a dirty filter. I turned my A/C back on. If this doesn't fix problem, what is my next step? Thanks!

Frozen Underground Drain Pipe [ 0 Answers ]

How can I defrost a frozen drain under my driveway? I know for sure its frozen, it freezes every year when the temp if below zero. It's a 4" pvc pipe I put in for the furnace condensate and floor drain unto the creek

Frozen, shattered vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

We just discoved that a vent pipe in our attic somehow froze and shattered. It was full of ice. We are confused about how all the water came to sit in the pipe. The pipe runs horizontal for about 25 feet until it reaches the upward pipe that goes out the roof. This pipe that broke only vents...

Can frozen drain pipe be clog? [ 4 Answers ]

Thanks for being an expert. All the fixtures in my ground-floor bathroom addition refuse to drain. The water runs (not frozen pipes), and the plumbing in the rest of the house is fine. Before it stopped draining there was a few days of water sputtering up the shower drain and/or the sink drain...

View more questions Search