Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Gas Heater not working correctly
    After reading the guide I believe it may be overheating.

The digital thermostat will go blank after running for 10 min or so and the display will turn back on in about 20min. The system is not able to keep the house over 60F. I don't think it has been cleaned in the 4 years I've lived there and not sure about before that.

How hard is it to simply clean the unit? And is there a good guide for doing this?

I want to be safe while trying this so is the only thing I need to do is throw the circuit breaker for the furnace?

What about the gas that is running(I guess it would just be the pilot that is lit) but do I need to turn off the gas to it, or is it safe with just the pilot running?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 12:03 PM
    The problem could be many different things. I do not suggest you try and clean the unit. But I do suggest you call for Professional On site service to get it fixed properly.

If the thermostat is battery operated or has battery's in it you might replace them since they probably have not been changed in 4 years. Also make sure the air filter is clean or replaced.
    jacs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 12:38 PM
    I'll have a look for a battery and make sure filter is OK.

Is there anything that I should look for when looking for someone to come fix it? (I'm not sure what type of company to even look for this, I done a yellow page search for HVAC and not sure even what I'm looking for however)

Also roughly how much does inspecting / cleaning cost? The unit is actually underneath the house and is kind of tight but enough room to sit and work on the unit.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Cost for service is different all arounf the country.

Look under heating companys in the yellow pages

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tempstar furnace doesn't seem to be working correctly [ 3 Answers ]

I am completely ignorant about this subject, but here goes. The rental house we recently moved into is supposed to have a high efficiency central heat and air unit newly installed. The model # is FSM2x3000A, and is, I believe, a Tempstar. The vents blow cold air more often than warm and the...

4 way not working correctly [ 10 Answers ]

Purchased a house and the 4 way not working. Figured that someone miswired one of the switches and when I checked the boxes this is what I found. Box 1 at bottom of stairs has 14-3 and 12 -2 BX cable. Power into this box. What is confusing in this box is that someone attached a bare copper wire...

Furnace not working correctly [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace kicks on and off like everything is okay but it blows cold air. I took the cover off and it has an automatic pilot but it is not coming on. Any suggestions?

Heater won't come on correctly. [ 1 Answers ]

When I use the Auto feature on the heater it won't come on but when I put it on Fan it runs just fine. What's causing this?

View more questions Search