Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    latinbarbie84's Avatar
    latinbarbie84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 16, 2009, 12:45 AM
    Non-custodial parent claimed child on his taxes
    Hi I just found out that my child's father claimed my 4 month old son on his taxes! Before I did I am so pissed and I want to know if there is something I ca do about this? And the sad thing is he does not support or see him at all.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

    Jan 16, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by latinbarbie84 View Post
    hi I just found out that my child's father claimed my 4 month old son on his taxes! before i did i am so pissed and i want to know if there is something i ca do about this? and the sad thing is he does not support or see him at all.

    Go to Court and get an order for custody/visitation/support and ask that the exemption be specified - who gets it and which years.

    How did the father get the child's SS number in order to file?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,305, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 16, 2009, 06:58 AM

    File them on your taxes, include a letter explaining that you are the custodial parent, include a copy of the court order perhaps showing you were awarded custody of the child.

    In most custody orders it will tell who gets to claim the child which year.

    Also start enforcing the child support order you have gotten in court.

    ** I say this with a feeling you have never been to court, which you need to
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 16, 2009, 07:06 AM

    Just file your own return claiming your son. As noted, include a note stating you are the custodial parent and he provided no support. Let the IRS decide who's return to accept.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

    Jan 16, 2009, 01:53 PM

    Your court order would state as far as support is calculated who the return belongs to. That only applies to States that take actual figures into account and not states that rely on a percentage basis alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent gave child to Non Custodial Parent now wants him back? [ 2 Answers ]

My husbands ex called us back in October and said that she could no longer handle their son (he is 7) and she was afraid she would "snap" one day and hurt him so we moved him in with us. My step son calls his mom on a daily basis he is doing better in school, and as a family have started...

Can the non-custodial parent claim the child on their taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 5 yrs old and her father has not done anything for her. Now out the blue, he wants to be in her life. We have a temperary child support established ( as of today). He wants to claim her on his taxes next year. Can he do this being that he is the non-custodial parent and has never...

Rights of non custodial parent in a divorce wherein death occurred to custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

Non custodial non US citizen parent (father) lives in Mexico. Custodial parent of two minor children (5 years old and 1 year old) is US citizen in Illinois. Divorce papers named father but set forth no requirements or terms for visitation, child support etc. There has been little if any contact...

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Non custodial parent fraudalently claimed kids 2006 [ 4 Answers ]

My children's father filed both kids on his taxes without my permission, the return was referred to child support and given to one of his other children and none to mine, I didn't file last year because of this, but now since I wasn't paid I really want to file this year, but don't want to tie up...

View more questions Search