Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bellagrace19 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Jan 15, 2009, 10:10 PM
    Any suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Okay, So here goes..
    I am the custodial parent over my now three year old daughter. The Non-Custodial Parent, has nothing to do with her. When she was about 7 months old, I put Child Support against him, and he was court ordered to pay about 135 monthly, due to the fact, that he claims he is umemployed. He works for cash. He has a bad rep for drugs, jail time, just a bad rap sheet altogether. Abusive, etc. She has not been around him, nor does she know who he is. She has a great father figure in her life at this time. But because the Non-Custodial has been paying child support the last 6 months, he is wanting to push for visitation rights. And I WILL NOT see to that.. I do not even want Supervised Visitation. So I sent him an email, and asked if he would sign over his rights to her, and I would like to just have the child support case dropped. I don't need his money, and she doesn't need him. And he agreed to signing over his rights.
    My questions are: Now, how do I go about doing this? What all is involved in something like this? Once he does sign his rights over, is that it? I just want the rights signed over to me, there is a significant other, but I am not ready to have him fully involved.
    Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks..
    And might I add, I love this site!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2009, 05:31 AM

He cannot sign over his rights to you. You already have your rights. He CAN sign over his rights to clear the way for adoption, but it is done as a single process. Check your local laws as they may differ some, but in most areas this means being married for a year and your spouse wanting to adopt.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you want simply does not happen unless there are severe mitigating circumstances such as documented child abuse or extended stay in prison.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 05:48 AM

If that father figure is your husband, and he wants to adopt, then the man can sign over his rights and the man can adopt. Beyond that, even if the courts allowed him to sign over his rights, he would still owe chid support and he would for sure in most places still owe all the back support.

Also there is almost no way at all you can stop him from getting supervised visits if he is just a drug using dead beat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. [ 13 Answers ]

Okay... You all are my friends, I would like to think that. I have had nothing but help and positive answers on here, as well as trying to help others... Its time again... Im pregnant... again! There's no remorse... whatsoever... maybe at first. I was a little scared. I had my first baby at 18,...

Would be GREATLY appreciated! [ 9 Answers ]

First off, I would like to apologize for the length of this. There are a few issues I would like to get ALL out on the table. So I moved to a different state 3 years ago and met my husband. I was 20 at the time and on my little party verge. We dated for a few months.. mostly partied and all the...

Opinions greatly appreciated [ 8 Answers ]

Hi: I am a 33 year old female. I am a pack a day smoker (sometimes a little more). Now, I must explain that I have been under a lot of stress lately, and have made a couple of bad decisions. I rarely drink, so when I do sometimes it hits me harder than I would hope for it to. I am now aware of...

Bookmarks- Instructions on how to use-keep orderly greatly appreciated? [ 7 Answers ]

I am self taught on using a computer. I have an Apple Mini. I use Safari. When I want to save a page, I click on "Bookmarks" at the top bar. I have three choices: Show all Bookmarks, Add Bookmark, & Add Bookmark Folder. Is there an easy miraculous way in which to have some order with all of these...

View more questions Search