Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crodes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Taxes on Inherited Property
    My grandmother died in 2001. She left a living will estate for her roommate to live in the home until she died and then my sister and I would then own the home.The roommate died in 2008. So once the roommate died we were able to sell the home. We sold it a few months after the roommate died and split the proceeds. I have read in two different sites that capital gains taxes do not have to be paid on inherited property. It stated that a relative was able to pass down up to $2 million in her estate tax free. Any amount from the sell of her home would go towards the estate. Please help!

Thanks,
    Christy
    MLSNC Posts: 158, Reputation: 17

Jan 15, 2009, 07:49 PM

Gain on the sale of inherited property is taxable. In this case it would appear your basis would be the fair market value on the date of your grandmother's death. The difference between this and the amount received should be the gain.

I'm not sure how the $2 million relates to this. For reporting on an estate return you would use the fair market value on date of death.

You should consult with a professional in your area to have all the facts reviewed.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 09:51 PM

The cost basis of the property you inherited is the FMV at the date of death. If you sold at a gain, you must report it on schedule D (Form 1040). Also you have the requirement to file the final return of the deceased if the income was more than the filing requirement.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Your grandmother's estate MAY have used the 6-month option in determining the FMV of the house. Under that option, the FMV is determined based on the date of your grandmother's date PLUS six months. You need to check with the executor to determine if they took that option. If nothing was done, the FMV on the date of death is used.

Now, depending on WHERE the house is located, it is very possible that the house sold for LESS than date-of-death FMV. If that is the case, you can also claim a capital LOSS on your return. If the loss exceeds $3,000, you can reduce other income (salary, interest, dividends, etc.) by $3,000, and the remaining loss carries forward to future years.

The complexity of this situation SCREAMS the need for a tax professional to prepare your return this year. That is my recommendation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

I am married and live in a wonderful home. I have recently inherited another house, and now I wonder if I should lease it or sell it? It seems a matter of tax implications. Please advise!:confused: Daniela

Taxes on inherited property [ 2 Answers ]

Are taxes due, such as capital gains taxes, on sale of inherited property?

Taxes on inherited property [ 4 Answers ]

I inherited property from step mother who had life estate of property which belonged to my father. My brother had already past away but had two daughters so I received 1/2 and they 1/4 each. Do I have to figure taxes on my half? Do I have to pay taxes on it or report it on my taxes? Thanks for your...

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 0 Answers ]

My siblings and I inherited our parents house after their death. It was in poor condition. We had it appraised for $132,000 and sold it for $125,000. Do we owe any federal income tax on it? All I have read so far indicates that we do not. But, how to we file, since the mortgage company that...

View more questions Search