Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    B H Roush Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Advise on getting my teen home.
    My 17 year old daughter moved in with my ex-husband... I am heart broken. The only reason I can think she did is... because she now has a boyfriend that lives close to her dad (we live more out in the country). Her step father and I do have more rules than her dad... rules like keeping up good grades... Certain time for bed and off phone... not staying out late on a school night... At her dad's and his girlfriends apartment they don't seem to follow through on rules like this.I just want her to come home... Help me, how can I get her back home with out upsetting her every time I bring it up.
    random_chick Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 06:53 AM

I'm only 15 but I can try and help. You could let her go to her dad's on thew weekends and let her stay up about and hour or so longer. Also just make sure she doesn't fall behind on her grades though because they are important. When you have a partner you tend to forget about everything apart from them. Family, friends... etc. just give her a reason to come back home. Just don't give her everything she wants because she will forget everything that is important like her grads.

Hope I have helped you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2009, 07:10 AM

I was tempted to move this to the Family Law forum, because it seems to be a question of law, but then maybe not.

The legal answer is that, if you have a court order stating you are the custodial parent, then she cannot move without your permission until she is 18. Her father would need to go to court to modify the order.

But there is also a parenting side to this question. A problem exists if the lines of communication are so closed that your daughter would move like that. You need to reopen those lines and try to re-establish a better relationship. Maybe get a family counselor to act as an intemediary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Advise on Home Mortgage [ 10 Answers ]

I need advise I owe $110,000 on a mortgage and the house was worth $125,00 and we have just been flooded for the third time and will cost about $30,000 to fix up. What are my options?

Seeking advise on giving advise [ 1 Answers ]

If you are sharing in a living situation with someone who you've found to be kind of a slob, i.e. not doing any cleaning nor taking care of personal hygiene, and it poses a health risk to both of you, how would you go about telling that person to cleanup? How can you tell another person that they...

Left a Deposit on a home need advise~ [ 10 Answers ]

Hi Well my husband and I were looking for a new rental place and we found one. Talked to the man that owned it and he gave us the number of his partner and so we called him and that day this was the 19th! We met with the partner and gave him a deposit he wanted us to fill out an application but he...

I need advise [ 14 Answers ]

Umm OK I go out with this guy and yes like most of you said that I should moveon so I did and I'm over cheyenne and anyway I go out with this guy and his name is nick and ummm I think I kind of love him and the other day my friend asked me if I would ever have sex with him and I said yeah probably...

Teen problems at home, Alcoholic parents and some other stuff.. [ 8 Answers ]

Well my names nicole and I am constently fighting with my parents my mom excecially.. she had me when she was 16v or 17 and when I was younger I sprent most of my time with my grandparents.its like she doesn't understand anything I say and she also won't talk to me about anything.. she has been...

View more questions Search