Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nagsen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Can I file Tax jointly - H1B & F1 visa
    Hi,
    I'm on H1B visa in Connecticut since 2005 and my wife is on F1 visa in Georgia (she has Graduate research assistanceship and her tax status is resident alien). My questions are,
    1) Can we file tax jointly?
    2) Do we have to file state tax separately?
    3) What will be the best way to file tax in my condition? (married filing jointly or married filing separately) to get the maximum return?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 10:55 PM

Yes, you can file joint return as residents.
    If you file as married filing separately, your wife will file non-resident tax return.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
    It is possible that filing separately gets the best refund tax-wise, but not likely.

It depends on your respective home countries and if there are tax treaties involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

J1 L1 should we file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been in New York, US since 8th December 2006 and have J1 visa (trainee). I have SSN and have been working as Software Developer for the company which provided me with J1 trainee visa. My wife came to US in March 2007 as J2 and then she got her L1 status on April 18, 2007. She started...

Can we file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my husband and I are both F-1. He started to work on CPT since July 2007 and OPT since December. 2008 is the 6th year of his stay in US. So can we filing tax jointly for 2007? Thanks! xiaotiany

Having H1B visa and Wife H4 can we file Tax return Jointly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am first time filing the Tax returns in US I am a software engineer and presently located in WA state. I am in US since late July 06 and my wife comes here in second week of Nov 06. My questions are 1. Can we file Tax returns Jointly if so which form I should fill (here I am talking about ...

Can J1 and J2 file jointly? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in J1 status and my husband in J2. He works and has his W-2. According to the treaty between China and US, I don't need to pay any tax. So in this case, can we file Form 1040NR jointly? Thank you for answering my question.

View more questions Search