Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimi888 Posts: 71, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Married people, how did you meet your partner?
    How did you and your partner start dating each other?

-were you friends first?
    -who ask who out?

It seems my peers seem to just "hook up" on drunken nights at parties and later make things official. I wonder how many of these "relationships" end in marriage.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 01:15 PM

What ever happened to the old fashion ideas and values of buying the wife from her father.

While I don't go for "hooking up" I guess down adays, the internet, myspace, Facebook and the such are the modern market place.
    sasha_1 Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Jan 13, 2009, 01:22 PM

If you have heard of arranged marriage... that's how I met my hubby (married 4 years, expecting our first child :))
    GeekerGirl86 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2009, 06:11 PM

I was 13 when I met and began dating my husband. He was 19. He was my older brothers best friend. It began somewhat innocently. We'd hang out at home and my parents trusted and loved him. We did that until I turned 15 at which point I would go out with him and we'd hang out and he'd sneak me into bars and clubs. (I know immature and stupid) Finally at 16 we were being intimate quite frequently and I missed several periods in a row. Well we ALL assumed I was pregnant and the HPT confirmed it. So we decided to get married. It turned out I had a cyst on my ovary and was NOT pregnant but I was married and in love so we decided against divorce. 12 years later here we are. Married with 2 beautiful children!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 02:57 AM
    I was forced against my will to go to the movies with one of my male friends, friends, when I was 19 and home from college for the summer. It was only because of my friend that I complied. ;)

As it turned out, we were total opposites, and discovered just how different we were over several dates. I went back to school, and a few months later he called me up. We developed a friendship over time, and four years later, married.

All our friends and family dubbed us 'The Odd Couple', but, the proof is in the pudding.

We've been married 33 years this July 17th.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 07:40 AM

The old fashioned way. Cruising.
    Chased her for a year and a half. Today it would be considered stalking. Finally joined the military and left town. She finally realized what she had let get away and decided to marry me. That was 43 years ago this month, thank you.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 08:13 AM

Well, I am currently engaged but want to get married in the next year probably. Anyway, I met her on Myspace. I guess that is the way things are these days huh? My brother met his fiancé on myspace and have been together for almost 3 years so it is a good start so far.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 08:30 AM

My hubby and I worked for the same small town grocery store. I pursued him. We'll be celebrating 23 years this June.
    mimi888 Posts: 71, Reputation: 3

Jan 14, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    Well, i am currently engaged but want to get married in the next year probably. Anyway, i met her on Myspace. I guess that is the way things are these days huh? My brother met his fiance on myspace and have been together for almost 3 years so it is a good start so far.
    Could you clarify by how you met on myspace? Was it a random person? Myspace/Facebook etc don't really function as online-dating services. All my connections on those networking websites are people I know in person, classmates, colleagues etc.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 02:45 PM

Well, I as looking at profiles of people I knew and I seen her picture on one and I just asked to be her friend through the website. I didn't expect anything out of it, but we started talking everyday, and then we met and hung out a lot and started dating after awhile. I couldn't be more happier!
    marie5555 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 05:26 PM
    I met my husband at a bar. I must admit we did hook up before we made official, and the thing is I had never done that but its kind of crazy... We met each other during the summer (he's in the NAVY) so after we met he had to go on deployment... he kept in touch during that time... and when he got home, it felt like my man had came home type of feeling... Even though he wasn't officially. But it didn't feel like I had hooked up with a random man... next thing you know we haven't been apart since... we are married and expecting a child.

Funny thing though... We are from the same country, the same town, we had common friends yet we had never met each other over there... He even worked with my dad and had never met in the work activities... so it doesn't really matter how you meet, if its meant to be it'll be.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Jan 14, 2009, 09:52 PM

I met my husband in high school. We had sophemore English together. We became friends for about a year (although I had a crush on him the whole time). We started talking a lot on the phone and going out of our way to see each other. I asked him out and he said no. So I was upset and started seeing other guys while still being friends with him. Well, one day I called him up and said I want to be with you and he agreed to it and we started going out. That was 6 years ago! We dated for about 3 1/2 years before we got married and we've been married for about 2 1/2 years.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 10:08 PM

My husband and I worked together for about a year. I liked his work ethic and the way he looked and smelled. Then we hooked up and it was like magic. We married 2 years later although I'd sworn never to marry again. The marriage license has made our parents happy.

"All the words in the world can't make a marriage. Only you can do that." The Grand Banshee - from "Leprichauns"
    KARIEMELIA Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Mar 30, 2009, 07:26 AM

I know this is an old post... but I want to add to it!
    I am getting married in 7 weeks to the man I met on MATCH.COM! We have been together for 3 in a half years!
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KARIEMELIA View Post
    I know this is an old post.... but I wanna add to it!
    I am getting married in 7 weeks to the man I met on MATCH.COM! We have been together for 3 in a half years!
    I didn't know that Kari. That is really neat. I posted on here awhile back and it was updated and I read it and it was you. Really cool though.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 07:48 AM

Not married ,but living together for nearly 12 yrs.

Met through a mutual friend.I was so not into looking for a guy. I was convinced I would spent my elderly years traveling with my oldest and dearest friend.

Became instant fast friends and the rest is history :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Not married ,but living together for nearly 12 yrs.

Met through a mutual friend.I was so not into looking for a guy. I was convinced I would spent my elderly years traveling with my oldest and dearest friend.

Became instant fast friends and the rest is history :)
    Isn't that called common law marriage after about 7 years or so?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_89 View Post
    Isn't that called common law marriage after about 7 years or so?
    I think so! But New York does not recognize common law marriage.
    We had a commitment ceremony years ago under a tree. Couple of old hippies :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I think so! but New York does not recognize common law marriage.
    We had a commitment ceremony years ago under a tree. Couple of old hippies :)
    Oh, OK. I see. I wasn't aware of it not being in certain places. My bad and I apologize.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 09:27 AM

First hubby and I were high school sweethearts... marriage lasted 19 years with 4 gorgeous children... :)

Met second hubby, out of the blue, online. I IMed him to say I thought something he said was funny and the rest, as they say, is history...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Time to meet new people [ 4 Answers ]

Well, much of the advice that is given, is to go out and do things and meet new people. I can completely understand how that definitely will make a difference in getting over a relationship, however, there isn't very much time for me to do so. I work much of the day time (1pm-10pm) and only have...

Where to meet new people [ 3 Answers ]

Where do you meet new people these days. I have been in a long term relationship for 20 years. I am self employed and don't meet many people that way. The friend pool is real low she drove them all away. I know in the future I will want to meet someone new. Where do you do that these days not into...

Five people you want to meet in heaven [ 12 Answers ]

Are there five people from your life you'd like to meet in heaven to find out why they were in your life?

Where can I meet creative people in miami? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I will make my question short,I will thank anyone who can contribute to the answer.I had a breakdown recently because I keep dating people at the club and they are mostly social butterflies or just people looking for sex. My therapist told me that since I'm an artist I should date and...

How do I meet new people [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hard time finding and meeting girls/women, does anyone know of a way I can meet them. I've tried clubs, online, and meeting them through people I know, but nothing ever seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas? What do I say to women when I meet them so they know I'm not some idiot trying...

View more questions Search