Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amj0419 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
    Getting married in a Catholic Church
    Can a catholic person and a non-catholic get married in a catholic church?
    amj0419 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2009, 11:49 AM
    I don't know the answer because I'm asking it...
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 11:51 AM

Yes. If the non-Catholic is baptized it's quite easy. If the non-Catholic is not baptized, then the priest will need to get a dispensation from the bishop (it's easy). In order to be married in the Catholic Church, you need to get in touch with the priest in the parish where you wish to marry at least six months before the wedding. When you talk to the priest, let him know that one of you is not Catholic. You will need to participate in Catholic pre-Cana together, though.

And congratulations!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2009, 01:22 PM

Yes, they can get married in the Catholic Church, The priest may want the non Catholic to take come classes to know more about the church but there normally is no issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could the Catholic Church be EVIL? [ 103 Answers ]

Priest faces trial in nun’s stabbing death Body of 71-year-old victim was found under altar cloth 26 years ago Reuters Updated: 10:35 a.m. ET April 15, 2006 TOLEDO, Ohio - A 68-year-old Catholic priest goes on trial Monday in the stabbing death of a nun whose body was found covered by an...

What is the history of the Catholic Church? [ 16 Answers ]

I know that torture and persecution took place during the dark ages. I have read through some catholic lit. to find out what there view on the matter was. I can't locate any historic documentation. I only find definitions. If you can enlighten me on this matter, it would help.

Can we get married in a Catholic church? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in Las Vegas 8 years ago and then converted to Catholicism. Since then my husband and I have got divorced. I am now planning on getting married again, to a Methodist. Can we get married in a Catholic church? Or do we have to marry in a Methodist church?

Communion in Catholic Church [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother have moved from Greece to live with me. She has always attended the Church of Greece. Can she receive communion in a catholic church?

Non-Church Catholic Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

Does the Catholic Church have a hard and fast position on non-church weddings (for example, an intimate, personal wedding ceremony in a quiet courtyard), or is it left to the discretion of the diocese/parish/priest performing the sacrament?

View more questions Search