Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rel131 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Child Support objection
    I recently filed a modication for an increase in child support and I was awarded the mondification. I do not have an attorney.
    My ex-husband has filed an objection. Do I file a response to his objection or do I wait for the court to send me papers?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 04:11 PM

What are his grounds for objecting? The judge may not even want to hear them.

Jan 13, 2009, 03:42 AM

There are many objections to the ruling. Court used the wrong income, court failed to articulate rationale in applying CSSA combined income over $80,000, I withdrew from my IRA and used it as income, I did not show proof of the needs of my child,my boyfriend lives w/us and does not contribute,I filed bankruptcy and my debts have been cleared, I am a serial car purchaser, and the list goes on and on...
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2009, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rel131 View Post
    There are many objections to the ruling. Court used the wrong income, court failed to articulate rationale in applying CSSA combined income over $80,000, I withdrew from my IRA and used it as income, I did not show proof of the needs of my child,my boyfriend lives w/us and does not contribute,I filed bankruptcy and my debts have been cleared, I am a serial car purchaser, and the list goes on and on...
    The court might not even hear him, so I wouldn't worry about replying to anything until the court asks you to. This is family court so there won't be any official way you need to reply. You will simply have another hearing.

I assume since he is objecting after the fact that he failed to appear for the original judgment?

Jan 13, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Yes, he appeard with his "free" attorney who is a family friend. The Judge said we would be notified in writing, which we were and he had 30 days to object, which he did on the
    29th day. So I guess I just wait for the court's decision or a new trial date?
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Jan 13, 2009, 08:10 AM

If he had that may objections some, if not all, of them would have been heard in court, right? Or is this the first time you are hearing any of it?

It sound to me as though he is going to put everything out there and see if one gets the Judge to rule differently. IMO, the judge is smart enough to see it for what it is, trying to find a way to lower the support amount.

You shouldn't have to do anything unless you get paperwork from the court. You can always call the clerk and ask if a response is needed, they will let you know that. Make sure you tell them your case number so they can check your file and get their name and the date and time you called. It might be better for you to go down there and ask if you can; I have had better luck with that.

What state do you live in? In Virginia with the JDR courts he would have only had 10 court days to object and would have had to have new information or proof that incorrect information was used in order to get it reheard. Now that is only with support. Everything else in JDR courts is 30 days to object.

Jan 13, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Yes, everything that they are objecting to was already heard.
    I live in New York State. The papers said he had 30 days to object.
    I hope (for my child's sake) that the Judge is smart enough to see
    What he is trying to pull.
    Thanks!
    cjonline Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Jan 13, 2009, 10:07 AM

If it was already heard and ruled on then there was no reason for an objection. If he filed paperwork to object for reasons already heard in court that will only upset the Judge.

I would still call the clerk to make sure no response was needed then just wait until you hear something.

Jan 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
    Thank You.. I will call the Court Clerk and see if I need to file an answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

Child support issue-Child no longer with custodial parent [ 22 Answers ]

My child is 18 yrs old and is no longer living with her mother.I am paying child support in New Hampshire and have recently learned through a subpoena that my daughter is living in New York state. Can child support charge me in 2 states on the same child? What steps can I take to have the child...

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

View more questions Search