Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondie11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2003, 12:49 AM
    What's wrong with me?
    ? :-/ okay I'm 14 and I think I'm bipolar or something... I'm insecure sometimes, and other times I'm fine. Sometimes I feel like all my friends are prettier and smarter and more attractive than me, even though deep down I know those things aren't true. Its like one minute I'm happy and the next minute I feel like my life sucks. Recently I've been getting these little episodes where I go into hysterics over the simplest things, e.g. I plucked my eyebrows wrong, and I CRIED over it. And I just got my ears pierced and I bawled my eyes out because I thought the holes were uneven. Then a few minutes later, I really didn't care about those things. And sometimes I questions my friends' and boyfriend's loyalty, like I wonder if they really truly are my friends. About a year ago I got really upset for a few weeks because my mom wouldn't let me date a certain guy... I considered suicide a couple times. I'm not like this all the time, it just happens every once in a while. My best friend seriously thinks something's wrong with me too. I know this sounds like I'm just a pathetic dramatic loser but I think something's wrong with me, someone confirm this for me? Thanks
    divastar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2003, 09:55 PM
    what's wrong with me?
    I don't think that there isn't anything wrong with you. You are 14, and you are having hormonal issues. 90% of girls I knew growing up (including myself) went through the same stuff. Bi-polar disorder is much more serious and complicated than happy one minute and disphoric the next. It embodies a history of hardcore issues, and is more rare than society thinks.
    The only point of concern is the fact that you've thought about suicide. Although, these days that is unfortunately nothing new. If you continue to have these thoughts, it's best you contact a social worker or counselor.
    I'd label you with major depression at best, but considering your age... You'll most likely grow out of it.
    baoloa Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2004, 01:18 AM
    what's wrong with me?
    Hi blondie,

I guess it doesn't help all that much to be told that what's happening to you is normal, but you know.. It is.

What makes a difference is learning to know yourself, and learning to know other people. All this confusion comes from not knowing is going on... And guess what? Most people haven't a clue, but they learn to live in an uncertain world -- learning that trick is the key.
    I'm sure you will learn this trick, but to help you on the way, below are some wise words from another person. "You are a child of the universe... Strive to be happy".

Paul

Desiderata
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    And remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender
    Be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    And listen to others,
    Even the dull and the ignorant;
    They too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
    They are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,
    You may become vain and bitter;
    For always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    It is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs;
    For the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    Many persons strive for high ideals;
    And everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;
    For in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
    It is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    Gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    Be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
    No less than the trees and the stars;
    You have a right to be here.
    And whether it is clear to you,
    No doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    Whatever you conceive Him to be,
    And whatever your labors and aspirations,
    In the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    It is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.
    support_sage Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Oct 24, 2004, 09:53 PM
    All aberration stems from a single source... the reactive mind. It is removable. So you don't have to suffer with any of those diseases. The reason psychiatry has failed to solve them is simple.. any computer tech could tell you the answer. You cannot fix the computer hardware and resolve a software problem and that is what psychiatry has been trying to do. Electro shock, drugs and psychosurgery do not work. They damage the hardware which is running correctly. The software (mind in this case is non physical) it has to be done in a particular way.
    Dianetics can fix mental illness really fast, hours instead of months or years, no drugs or hypnosis. And the kicker is that every hour of Dianetic auditing gives you a point of IQ, so it can make quite a difference.
    Emotion and the amount of reactive mind are linked, negative or mis emotion are part of being on the lower end of the scale, (having a lot of reactive mind) higher emotions are less reactive (see the emotional tone scale.
    Also physical diseases become more pronounced with more reactive mind.
    Depression is toward the bottom of the scale and easily fixed.
    As I said it can be removed. You can do some of it yourself or have a professional auditor do it . Once it is gone it is gone permanently.
    There are millions who have done this before you. But remember this if you have taken or are on psych drugs you will not be able to audit. You must be weaned off them carefully first.
    For more info on that write me again.
    visit www.dianetics.org to find out more info or to find an auditor in your area.
    See also www.mindfreedom.org or www.cchr.org
    kitkat405 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2005, 04:16 PM
    You will be okay...
    Hey I'm 13, and I feel the same way you do. Maybe not as bad, but close enough. I have tried to commit suicide, but I wasn't successful. Trust me its not worth it. All you get is counseling, medicine, and a little too much attention. Try doing yoga or meditatin to calm yourself down. Or you could talk to an adult you really trust. Its okay you will get over it in time... There is nothing wrong with you. ;)
    tuddy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2006, 03:15 AM
    :o you will be fine trust me just all those hormones racing around I know I've had a fourteen year old and been there myself take it easy its life I know it feels crap but you will be OK xx
    jurplesman Posts: 83, Reputation: 7
    -

Apr 29, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Hello blondie,

Yes you could have hormonal problems but so do other girls at your age and they do not consider suicide.

Teen age emotional problems can be easily resolved if we look at both the physiological and psychological angles.

The physiological may be the most important. Many teenagers have wild mood swings, being happy one moment and depressed the next moment. These are often due to unstable blood sugar levels caused by hypoglycemia.

You can test yourself for hypoglycemia with the Nutrition Behavior Inventory Test (NBI) . If you score high your are likely to be hypoglycemic, which cause your unstable moods.

The non-drug treatment is going on a Hypoglycemic Diet.

The psychological angle may be a little harder. First you need to treat the biological angle and then do a self-help psychotherapy course. This course looks at the self-image, which is at the core of your personality. If you have a low self-image - which inter alia could have been caused by your metabolic disorder - will affect your whole way of looking at life, and other people. With a low self-esteem you would be very sensitive to what other people "might" think of you, because you have no internal defences against these. Your defences may trigger negative reactions in other people resulting what is called a 'self-fulfilling prophecy'.

If you study our self-help psychotherapy course chapter by chapter you should be able to overcome your negative self-image in about three to eight weeks time. BUT YOU HAVE TO STUDY!!

Thus going on the hypoglycemic diet AND study the psychotherapy course will resolve your problems. You can also read my book (see below) which is freely available on the internet.

You can also get assistance from a counsellor familiar with this approach.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Apr 29, 2006, 10:08 PM
    Blondie, remember one thing, nothing and I mean NOTHING in life is ever disastrous enough to take your own life. All that would result from that is hurting everyone who loves you in an unmeasurable way for the rest of their lives.

Being up one minute and down the next can be pretty normal for a teenager. Talking about it helps, but not just to your girl friends. Talk to your mom, your teacher, a counselor, doctor, pastor or priest, but get that out to someone. Get as much exercise as possible. I know it sounds kind of weird, but it really helps. Take up jogging or ride your bike for an hour or two but get your heart pumping and your muscles working. There will always be someone who is smarter or prettier than us, so why worry about things we cannot control?? Friends and boyfriends may or not betray, so choose your friends carefully. If you have a friend who didn't turn out to be too loyal, dump them and find a better one without wasting time on people like that. Those things are all a part of life, something's are not fair, but what makes life good is our attitudes toward it. Enjoy your youth, learn about anything and everything, the world around you will just get more interesting!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2006, 01:35 AM
    Many teenagers goes through many different emotions. Have you started your period? Many girls experience certain mood swings before and after their period. Lots of emotions and thoughts and ups and downs happen during the teenage years.
    CopeWithLife Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 09:51 AM
    I disagree with what you said, why worry about things we cannot control, because for instance I can't control but the consequences will far outweigh the Worry people talk about. How about everyone just forget about their probems because they can't control them. Do not give mixed messages and be detailed on what exactly you can't control because in your life you will have to control yourself and your actions.
    CopeWithLife Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 09:57 AM
    It is just normal to have highs and lows but that's not the case. Its not normal. I would not have ups and downs either if it wasn't for so much indecision and inaction. If people just take action and not think logically and clearly about what their going to do, it will have consequences that could be unimaginable. So think clearly and logically before just saying the heck with thinking, I will just do what I can and get it over with. There is always a REASONABLE amount of time. People have mood and behavioral disorders I say are slower because of their mental health issues not meaning they have developmental disorders.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 13, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Blondie:

I have a 12 year old daughter who has been going through very similar situations. I took her to the doc and the doc said that this is all quite normal for a girl at this age. Hormones are raging right now. When my daughter CRIED because she said her hair was frizzy I got her laughing by crying with her and saying "What are we crying about? Why don't we cry about something we can't fix. We can fix your hair!!!" And now when she starts crying about something she usually ends up laughing at herself crying for something so simple.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 13, 2006, 03:29 PM
    It is tough weathering the stage between child and adult. How well we are all remembering here. Breathe, blondie (sends a hug!) and let time do the rest.. . Unless, of course, you ever feel yourself really capable of doing harm to yourself or another, in which case call the crisis hotline in your area immediately please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong with my dog? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female black lab. She is the most faithful eater I know but she has eaten since Tuesday... 6/21/05. All she wants to do is lay around and sleep. Granted it's been hot and I am sure the heat wears on her BUT she always eats. She TELLS me when it's breakfast and dinner time....

Is it wrong? [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering everyone's feedback on the question is it wrong for man to feel less of himself if his girlfriend has slept with more guys then he has women?Is it wrong for him to want to go out and match her or destroy her total?I haven't been a man to want to conquer the universe until I met my...

What am I doing wrong? [ 8 Answers ]

:( I am a frustrated single mom with a 12 y/o boy. His father has always been there for us, even though we seperated when our child was four. I was fifteen when I had him and still have never married. His father recently is in the process of getting divorced from his wife and has moved to...

What's wrong now [ 1 Answers ]

I have a centurion wall clock it works but after a few hours the pendelum will stop moving and the time will stop what causes this to do this?

Is something wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and 2 years ago I got pregnant when the condom broke and had an abortion because I was not ready at the time and the relationship was so new. I have not been using any contraceptives for the past 6 months because we are now ready to have a child, and now I am not getting pregnant....

View more questions Search