Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    St lucia Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 11:53 AM
    I was never provided a walk through inspection prior to moving in
    I moved in to a condo 10 months ago that is owned by my friends mother and my friend was already residing there. My wife an I signed a 6 month lease. I paid first months rent of $700.00 and a $700.00 security deposit. The landlord never conducted a walkthrough inspection with me prior to my move in. When I attempted to move in there was a couple already living there I was not able to move in till June 26th I was never credited back. Our six month lease ended and we have been living month to month. Since our move in we discovered that our roommate the landlords son has a severe drug and alcohol problem and through his drug use has has damaged things in the condo. I have brought it to his mothers attention/landlord and she has mentioned he has had this problem before and along with my help has sought out help for him. The landlord has advised me for my wife and 1 year son and I to move imidiately for our well being and safety. I agreed and found a place to move and signed a lease to move in feb 7th and the landlords son will continue to live in the condo. Since then the lanlord and son have decided that they want us to do a walkthough and any damages found I would be liable for. Is this legal considering the circumstances and the fact there was never a walkthrough to determine the initial status of the condo?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2009, 12:44 PM

A walkthru is not required legally. Have you documented the damages that were pre-existing? If you have, then you should have no problem. If you haven't, then you may have an issue if they try to claim you are responsible for the damages.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2009, 02:01 PM

Did you ask for a walk through inspection? Or did you assume there would be one?
    St lucia Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2009, 05:47 PM
    I never asked for one. My roommate the lanlords son was already living there and the way things were done were very informal. The lanlord previous to our moving in had not been in the place for at least four to five months and during that time had other tenannts living there as I mentioned in my initial post wich was the cause of delaying my June 6th move in. In wich I paid the entire months value of $700 but was not given acces till June 26th. The landlord had not enered the condo to inspect its condition prior to my moving in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord hasn't provided new lease to sign [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida. I signed a 1 year lease (ends on Aug 1st) with the following terms: 60 written notice to terminate lease If no party provides intent the lease shall convert to month to month at an increase to market value(currently $500 more then I currently pay) + 10%(not to exceed 250)...

Stove never provided after promise [ 2 Answers ]

Rented 4/2/08 Gas stove had been removed. Landlord promise installation of electric stove. Numerous delays. Now he says he will install gas stove after I pay for meter reinstalled. First, can he continue to delay me about the stove and second, Am I responsibly to pay for meter?

What Band is This? Descriptions Provided [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, Everyone, I hope you are doing well. My friend is trying to figure out a specific American band in a music video he saw, and the following are the descriptions he provided: -5 members in the band -Members are White/Caucasian -Members are wearing black band clothing -They are performing...

Bank has not provided title [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a vehicle from a private individual and financed it with my credit union. The title was held by the owner's bank and joint payment was made to the individual and the bank. It has now been 4 months and the individual's bank has not produced a title. I have been without a car before I...

View more questions Search