Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shortandsmall Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2009, 03:35 PM
    how do you do scientific notation?
    how do you do scientific notion?can you do this problem as a prctice problem and explin step by step?
    thanks so much=]

here's the problem:

Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 03:58 PM

Okay, I will do a similar problem all the way through, and then you can apply the same principles to your problem so I can make sure you've understood it. OK?

I'll take a number similar to yours.

Write 0.00004637 in scientific notation.

Okay, so we first need to understand what scientific notation is. Essentially it's a number of the form .

we can rewrite our current number in the form .

Do you see why this is? is simply 1, so we can multiply it by that and still have the same number.

Now we have some fun.

Every time you divide by 10 (which means moving the decimal point one place to the left), we add 1 to y. Every time we multiply by 10 (move the decimal point to the right), we take 1 from y.

so to get from to , we have to move the decimal point 5 places to the right. This means that we take 5 from y.

So our final answer is .

Now, we can get the original number back (to check), by actually doing the calculation.

, so we can see that this is correct.

Now you have a go with your question.
    kitkat2000 Posts: 14, Reputation: -2

Jan 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
    you need to start with a number between 1-10 so place a decimal point between the 7&5. the number should look like this 0.0007.58. Count the number of digits between the original decimal point and the one you just made, which is 4. the answer is 7.58x10 to the -4th power. The negative indicates that the number has a decimal point. The -4 should be written in the top right corner of the 10
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2009, 05:10 PM

I'll do it a different way:

Engineering notation means that the first number is between 1 and 999. So, lets move the decimal by 3. 758 E-6. E is another way of writing 10^(-6).

To get 758 E-3 into scientific notation, lets move the decimal place by 2 or 7.58 E-4.

If we take 0.0007.58

Note I wrote the number with 2 decimals on purpose. If we count to the left 4 times from the 7.58 decimal, we have the new decimal place.

Multiplying 0.000758 by (10^1) makes the number .00758 E-1
    Do it again: 0.0758 E-2, again 0.758 E-3; and again 7.58 E -4

The E-4 means you take 7.58 and multiply by 10^(-4) or 0.0001
    Thus 7.58 * 0.0001 equals 0.000758

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to do scientific notation and work with significant figures, any helpful tips? [ 1 Answers ]

I am desperately trying to stay ahead in my chemistry class and need help Were are currently working on scientific notation and I somewhat get it but am still confused. I get lost sometimes when I try putting it into expanded form and where the decimal goes And also scientific notation with...

Scientific notation and regular numbers [ 3 Answers ]

how do you multiply scientific notation and regular numbers? Like example: 7.213 x 10^23 times 14 how do you do that?

Anyone seen this notation before? [ 3 Answers ]

I was reading an article (The (Other) Secret: Scientific American) and they used some strange notation when they gave magnetic field strengths for the human brain and the earth. For example, the article says that the earth's magnetic field is {10}^{!!5} tesla but I've never seen the {10}^{!!x}...

How Do You Do Scientific Notation? [ 3 Answers ]

HELP! I don't know how to do this scientific notation stuff. Look, I AM NOT searching on this thing for ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS. I am searching this place for GUIDANCE with these questions. Just PLEASE tell me how you do this and how you get all these stinkin' zeroes! Here's the things that are...

View more questions Search