Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonym13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 10:10 PM
    1st time probation violation
    I was arrested for domestic and I got probation and one of the stipulations was no alcohol, and on new years I had a couple of drinks and on the second of jan. had to take a pee test which I'm sure I'll fail, because they use that new ETG and it had only been 30 hours what kind of punishment am I looking at. My suspended sentence was 90 days in jail
    lilman2578 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 10:17 PM

You don't have to worry. They will most likely reinstate you the only time u worry if u catch another charge.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jan 9, 2009, 01:31 AM

I was a probation officer in Maryland for seven years and we never violated anyone on the first positive test. I suppose a judge could demand in the probation order that one test would be grounds for a violation, but I doubt it.

Here is a quote from the SAMSHA web site about the ETG test:

"ETG appears to be highly specific, similar to testing for other drugs. It is a direct metabolite and is only present in urine following exposure to alcohol. However, no forensic toxicology test is 100% reliable. Therefore, we strongly recommend that for all urine tests found to be positive that the individual be referred for in-depth clinical evaluation. It is important with any laboratory test to obtain clinical correlation!"

SAMSHA is a federal agency, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2009, 05:28 PM

Well would like to know what happened, because in spite of what was said, if you fail a test you can be revolked and the judge can give you part or all of the entire sentence.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jan 14, 2009, 01:58 AM

Now wait a minute, in spite what was said above, a judge is not going to know about a positive test unless the PO reports it to the judge. In my state we were simply not required to report the first positive test unless the judge requested it in the probation order. Our program required that other sanctions be imposed before a report was written to the court, such as a counseling session or an increase in the testing schedule. Of course, the judge always has the final word in how he wants to handle his probation cases.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much jail time on a first time probation violation [ 6 Answers ]

How much jail time on a first time felony probation violation

Probation Violation Time Limits [ 7 Answers ]

I need everyone's advice. I was on probation for three years in the state of Virginia for a DUI related incident from May 2002 to May 2005. I violated my probation, but my probation officer never found out as it occurred in another state. Virginia (DMV) has now found out about it. (in July...

Violation of probation 1st time w/ urine [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I've on probation for about two years now, and have two more to go. I have been clean on every drug test I've taken, maintained a job and have been to about 90% of my meetings on time, but for the 10% I have always called and rescheduled. I've taken some college courses and am trying to...

Violation of Probation 2nd time [ 5 Answers ]

I was charged with a DWI and was sentenced to 18 months probation. I was tested the first time and I was dirty. Then my P.Officer made me go two a marijuana education class and assist NA meetings twice a week and write about my experience there and how it was helping me cope with my recovery. I had...

How much time for 1st probation violation? [ 2 Answers ]

HI, My name is Falina jimenez. My husband is doing time in benton county jail. That's in kennewick, wa. About 4 years ago he was convicted of assault person with a weapon in California and served 2 years. He out out about 2 or 3 years ago. The thing is that they gave him 3 years probation, but...

View more questions Search