Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krankdog Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Never ending heavy period after nursing
    I recently slowed down nursing after 10 months and finally started having a period (which I know is normal) but after 3 weeks my period was not stopping and it was heavy with lots of clots, and it didn't taper down and get any lighter the entire 3 weeks. So I started on some birth control (the nuva ring) and that stopped my period and everything was fine. I took out the nuva ring (in order to have a period) and I am bleeding just like I did before, very heavy and with lots of large clots (that I actually feel coming down). I don't think this one will taper down until after I start the ring again. I have always had normal periods until now, is this just a reaction to not having one for so long (because of being prenant and then nursing) or is there something wrong? Will using the ring for a few more months start to regulate things?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2006, 08:24 AM
    It is normal to bleed for 3 - 4 weeks after having a baby or when you stop nursing.

If you are actually feeling clots it is time to go to your doctor. Using the "ring" to stop periods is VERY dangerous. Your body needs to shed the uterine lining and by purposely stopping your periods your body is not shedding naturally.

You need to make an appointment with your doctor to find out exactly why this is happening to you.
    krankdog Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 24, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Have you heard of this happening before? (period's not stopping and being REALLY heavy) what are possibilities of an answer to this problem?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2006, 10:05 AM
    As I said above, it could be due to you "stopping" the period without the period being over by itself. It could be that you were pregnant and are having a spontaneous miscarriage.

It is never a good idea to use the ring or any form of birth control to stop a period.

You really need to contact your doctor before something serious happens, i.e. loss of too much blood causing anemia. It is possible that you may need a D&C.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 24, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Hi Krankdog,
    I myself am not exactly sure what could be causing your excessively heavy periods, but the clotting may well be due to excessively high levels of estrogen. Progesterone would have been the dominant hormone during most of your pregnancy, though has likely dropped off considerably by now. It is likely your body is not maintaining an adequate balance between these two hormones, of which the Nuva Ring contains both. How lower levels of progesterone would affect your periods, I'm not entirely sure. High estrogen though can be a significant factor in clotting, although there are multiple other hemotological factors. I do agree a doctor visit would be prudent. Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood clots during heavy bleeding period [ 52 Answers ]

Is it normal to have large blood clots during the heaviest Bleeding period

Robert DeNiro's 'The Fan' ending theme! PLEASE HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

Terence trent d'arby The artist is Terence Trent D'arby and the title of the song is "Letting Go" but I can't seem to find any downloads. I use Limewire and the song doesn't come up. I've tried other programs as well but I was wondering if anyone knew of any sites that play it for mp3 or...

Very heavy period [ 3 Answers ]

For the last two months I have had clotting and chunks of blood come out when I am on my period last month I was on for 3 weeks but one week was spotting and then there was a week and a half of clumping and bleeding then regular bleeding and it is the same so far for this week. In November of 04 I...

Ending child support in VA [ 7 Answers ]

Just want to find out how child support is terminated by the state of VA now that child has turned 18 and graduated high school, actually graduates in 3 or so weeks. Will a phone call by myself or attorney be able to have the court stop the payments or does my employer just stop the witholding...

Ending and Stalking [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with this. I met this guy in a game (sue me) and he was all into me and wanted to meet me IRL (he lives close, within 300 miles). He 'loves me' and so I 'loved him' and then he began talking about serious things: Marriage, sex, babies.. And something else, I'm not even straight. But he...

View more questions Search