Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lesmarlaur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Child Adoption by StepParent
    I live in Florida and have recently married, I have a 8 yr old from a previous relationship,
    The father lives in Illinois, My husband wants to adopt my child, but her father will not consent, he has never paid child support, he has not seen her for over 3yrs.he has only spoken to her maybe 4 times in that time, and when he does he has upset her, and made her cry, never sends birthday or christmas cards, nothing, what can we (myself & husband) do about this, my child is extremely smart and she wants this also, she loves her stepfather,whom she calls daddy of her own free will, and he supports her completely, financially and emotionally.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 09:07 AM

Your child's biological father needs to be willing to surrender his rights in order for your husband to adopt your daughter. A court will not strip him of his rights unless he's a danger to the child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2009, 09:59 AM

So how many times in 3 years have you taken him back to court, what is child support enforcement doing,

If he knows he is going to have to pay child support he may be a lot more willing to sign over rights
    lesmarlaur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 06:07 AM
    Ok, I stated my question wrong, what we actually want to do is hyphenate the name, because I have children with my husband and she(my daughter) wants her name to be the same, and this is also for insurance reasons.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 8, 2009, 06:24 AM

You're going to need the birthfather's permission for either an adoption or a name change.

Start getting the child support order enforced. Go back to court for more support. But unless he's willing to sign over his rights (getting out of child support will do that for some men) or you can get them terminated for something like abuse, then an adoption will not move forward.

I highly suggest that you consult a family law attorney in your area. You will probably need an attorney for this anyway, and a local attorney will be able to tell you if you even have a chance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lesmarlaur View Post
    Ok, I stated my question wrong, what we actually want to do is hyphenate the name, because I have children with my husband and she(my daughter) wants her name to be the same, and this is also for insurance reasons.

Just a side question - why is the name change necessary for insurance purposes - unless soemone who is not the natural parent is attempting to place the child on an insurance policy as a natural child -

What am I missing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws for adoption and child support after adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if any one might know about the laws in Arkansas for adoption. I've tried looking for my answers but I'm not to bright at this. I was wondering that when a child is adopted if child support from the other father stops? And will he still have to pay back child support that he...

Stepparent Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I married a man with a 13 year old son and I want to adopt him. He has not had any contact from his bio mother in over 2 years. Her whereabouts are unknown, the last was heard she was in Australia. How does one go about starting procedures on stepparent adoption and is 2 years of no contact...

Stepparent adoption in Indiana [ 2 Answers ]

I would like for my husband to adopt my daughter. Her father has not seen her for about a year and a half and has not paid child support for close to 4 years. He knew how to contact her up until about 3 months ago when I changed our # and we moved out of state about 3 weeks ago. I am afraid for him...

StepParent Adoption Terminating boyfriend Rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 children 7 and 10. When they were 3 and five I relocated with Washington state court approval for temporary relocation with visitation to boyfriend. He has failed to ever follow the visitation and I have not heard from him since 2003. He has paid child support on and off last time in Oct....

View more questions Search