Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Jul 23, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Need help from the IRS
    Time and Time again I called the IRS to correct an error on my tax return and the conversation ended with me speaking with the most undiscerning batch of extreme ignorance known to me doing my life time.
    The problem: The student loan interest deduction compared to the deduction allowed for tuition payment no associated with a student loan. I was asked to pay my student before it was due in the forth year of schooling and I was still attending classes. I talked to six representatives and told them that an error was made in one line and should have been placed in the other line…what could be the problem to correct.
    I did send in a 1040 x a form necessary (for correcting such errors on 1040 forms that are required by law to complete if working to correct) the errors and requested more information from the university to correct the problem. Where do I go for help? For the advocate for the taxpayer knows nothing either?
    :( :eek: :confused: :mad:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Hello Luna:

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. But, whatever it is, you're not accomplishing it on the phone. Ok, stop using the phone. You made an error on your 1040, and you corrected it with a 1040x. Should this change result in a refund for you that you haven't received? If so, write them a letter. Send it certified, return receipt requested. They'll answer.

If they want more money from you, however, say no, and wait until you are audited. At that time, there will be an IRS agent in person, right in front of you, to whom you can explain the problem.

You may very well wish to turn this whole mess over to a professional. I would. If you had a CPA prepare your taxes, make him talk to the IRS. Otherwise, hire an attorney.

excon

PS> I know you were serious about your title, needing help from the IRS, but it did make me bust out in laughter.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Hi,
    I agree with the previous answer about "forget the phone". You never, never know who you are talking with, and whoever it is, if it follows the rule of thumb that "no one in the Fed. Gov't is responsible for anything they do", you will never win, no matter what. So, forget the phone.
    See a CPA. They shouldn't charge you much to help you straighten this out, and you will be assured they know what they are doing! Ask them their cost first.
    I do wish you the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
    I will third this, don't use the phone for anything legal ever.
    Next the people who work for the IRS try hard, but even after you talk to them, the person who gets the paper work they suggest may not still accept it.

Talk to a tax attorney, show them the problems, and let them handle it in writing for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search