Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    liltia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Co-sign for mortgage
    Can someone get a mortgage for you co-sign if you can't get one for yourself because of credit score
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 03:17 PM

Yes but then they are responsible if you can not or do not pay so it is hard getting anybody willing to co-sign
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 03:44 PM

If someone would be silly enough to sign for you, that is, if they have good credit
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 04:19 PM

If you cannot qualify for a loan yourself, its probably in everyone's best interest if you didn't get it. There is a reason you don't qualify for it.

Please think long and hard before getting a cosigner.
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jan 16, 2009, 08:28 AM

Whenever someone asks me this question as a loan officer , my usual advice is...

The "co-signer" should buy the property as an investment and qualify for the loan on their own. Then they should negotiate a separate "Rent to Own" contract with the erstwhile buyers. This way, their credit is protected and the "tenant's" credit history will get improved with a history of on time rental payments.

Of course, in this scenario, the buyer will have to demonstrate that they can afford the mortgage payments without consideration of any collected rents (unless they have several years documentable experience as a landlord).

Co-signing is rarely a good idea for the co-signer. I've seen a fair number of folks who have had their credit ruined (including parents of children who "own" the house) by being a co-signer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sign my mortgage over to a family member [ 3 Answers ]

Can I sign my mortgage over to a family member

Mortgage payment.Mortgage told me one thing amount and then it was another. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. I had a mortgage loan modification. Had an agreement with my loan company to make a paymnet of about five thousand dollars.Then I received a letter that instead of the five thousand that covered the months of October and November it was two thousand dollars and one of about two hundred and...

36 hours before I close mortgage company refuses to give mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

I secured a deal for a home with the owner and got a signed contract a month ago. For sale by owner deal. Secured financing at 95%, with 5 % down. Did financing through a broker, and got a locked in deal with countrywide over 3 weeks ago. All is well, appraised for 100K over what I have...

Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am so confused [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend left me almost a month ago, and I have been giving her space. Haven't called, text, or msged her in that month. Then one day she called me at first but I missed her call so I called her back and she said she called me by accident so I said oh OK, and then we hung up like nothing ever...

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search