Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Billxc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Why is my apartment rent raised this year and much higher than the past?
    Why is my apartment rent raised this year and much higher than the past? Does it have to do with government household fee or something? Answers much appreciated!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 11:33 AM

It's raised because the landlord has analyzed the market and believes the new rates match what the market will bear.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Billxc View Post
    Why is my apartment rent raised this year and much higher than the past? Does it have to do with government household fee or something? Answers much appreciated!

Where are you, State, Country? Rent increases are regulated in some areas.

Otherwise it's supply and demand - the landlord will get whatever he can by means of rent.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 5, 2009, 11:39 AM

Property taxes, maybe to cover new mortgages or loans taken out on the property as well. J B's answer is correct and it would benefit you to see if the new amount is in line with your community, but it does depend as mentioned above on where you live. Also I would check in to what is mandated by law in your area and/or in your lease. Sometimes it states that rent can't be raised more than a certain percentage per lease agreement. <--depending on where you are and the agreement you have signed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase for apartment in PA [ 10 Answers ]

Is there a cap on how much I can increase rent on an apartment in PA? Current tenants have ovenight guests, I pay water, sewage, trash collection!

Raised rent [ 1 Answers ]

Landlord raised my rent before lease was up.in my lease there is a provision that says they can charge for water sometime in the future if they want.recieved letter saying they would charge for water and would soon get a monthly bill for water,then another letter saying they changed their mind and...

Own a home in NJ, rent an apartment in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I both live and work in NYC. We are considering our options to buy a home. Our first option is to buy a condo/co-op in NYC. Our current rent is really cheap (against other NYC apartments). One option that I'm toying with is to keep renting our place in NYC, and buying a home in NJ...

Rent raised after repairs made in rental [ 2 Answers ]

Our landlord recently had to replace the heating/cooling system when the old (1969!) one failed. Now they want to increase our rent. My understanding is that in CA a landlord cannot increase one's rent within 6 months of doing any kind of necessary repairs to the property. Is this true? ...

Landlord trying to re-rent at higher price [ 8 Answers ]

We are currently trying to get out of our lease in WA. Our landlord told us that she will try to re-rent it but till then we are fully liable. I am fine with that but the landlord now tries to re-rent the unit for a lot more than we pay. We rented it 4 months ago for $1300 and she now...

View more questions Search