Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weatherguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 09:45 PM
    Industrial Floor Stripper Headache
    Some years ago I worked part-time at a gym and was stripping a cement floor. When the usual red liquid (Square-One) was gone, I grabbed a can of no-name stripper to finish up the job. Earlier, my boss had told me it was a "free sample" to try, and if I liked it better, he'd get more of it. Well, right away I noticed that it was not the same stuff. This stuff was thick (like rubber cement). It did a GREAT job, but when I went to clean the mop in the sink with hot water, I could see fumes flowing out of the sink. They were heavier than air, and began flowing around the floor. I could tell where it was as it was distorting the view through it. It was then that I also noticed my legs were burning, and I became quite sick... headache, nausea, dizzy. There was no label on the can. After several hours, I recovered, and never tried using that stuff again.

QUESTION. Based on what I've described, can anyone out there tell me WHAT this stuff may have been that I ran into? It was obviously not compatible with water, but what kind of floor stripper can't get wet?? I'm wondering about the possible long-term affects I may have set myself up for.

Thanks.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 12:15 AM

Hi, weatherguy!

I'm not sure about the long-term effects. If you have any for any length of time, then I would go to see a doctor.

I've certainly stripped my share of floors as a custodian and also stripping furniture as a furniture refinisher.

I've gotten sick many times when I've used chemicals without taking the proper precautions such as using a respirator and gloves.

The worst experience that I had was when I was selling photography products in the gymnasium of a school a few years ago. They had just refinished the floor. You could really smell it! I didn't feel very good on any of the days that I was there and could hear my heartbeat in my ears for a number of months after that!

I'm still here and got over my symptoms. However, I consider these experiences to be lessons learned that whether there's a label or not and I know that it's some sort of caustic chemical, that I'd better be protecting myself by wearing a ventilator, gloves and goggles if need be, and also having adequate ventilation when being around those sort of things.

I don't think that washing out equipment was so much that problem for you as just not adequately protecting yourself. The equipment needs to be cleaned in order to save money.

Certain caustic liquids can de-fat your tissue and the results of the inhalation of fumes are obvious.

I would just consider this to be a lesson learned and to be much more careful the next time.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 06:03 AM

When it happened what name was on container, where did boss get it from, did you call that company and get a MSDS on the product

Jan 5, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, weatherguy!

I'm not sure about the long-term effects. If you have any for any length of time, then I would go to see a doctor.

I've certainly stripped my share of floors as a custodian and also stripping furniture as a furniture refinisher.

I've gotten sick many times when I've used chemicals without taking the proper precautions such as using a respirator and gloves.

The worst experience that I had was when I was selling photography products in the gymnasium of a school a few years ago. They had just refinished the floor. You could really smell it! I didn't feel very good on any of the days that I was there and could hear my heartbeat in my ears for a number of months after that!

I'm still here and got over my symptoms. However, I consider these experiences to be lessons learned that whether there's a label or not and I know that it's some sort of caustic chemical, that I'd better be protecting myself by wearing a ventilator, gloves and goggles if need be, and also having adequate ventilation when being around those sort of things.

I don't think that washing out equipment was so much that problem for you as just not adequately protecting yourself. The equipment needs to be cleaned in order to save money.

Certain caustic liquids can de-fat your tissue and the results of the inhalation of fumes are obvious.

I would just consider this to be a lesson learned and to be much more careful the next time.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the response. Yes, I certainly have considered this event a lessons-learned. I was young and in-experienced at the time... would have responded differently today.

Jan 5, 2009, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    When it happened what name was on container, where did boss get it from, did you call that company and get a MSDS on the product

Unfortunately, there was no label. It was one of those black, 5-gal, metal cans. At the time I did not know what an MSDS was, and did not have the experience or training to ask the right questions. I would have responded differently today.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks for your positive and proactive responses, weatherguy! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Industrial Ear Piercing [ 22 Answers ]

Ok I got my industrial done about 4 days ago. After the guy pierced it he sent me on my merry way and didn't give me any aftercare instructions. Can someone who has had this done and it has healed nicely for them give me some advice? Also, on an average how long does it take this piercing to...

Industrial piercings [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bump on the inside of my ear where the bar enters. Is it infected?

Industrial felt [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody guide to obtain industrial felt of 3/6mm in Mumbai? Tks for assistance.

Industrial piercing. [ 2 Answers ]

So yeah. My friend pierced me an industrial yesterday. It was done with a special piercing needle. It bled a lot in the beginning, but it's all fine now. It only hurts D: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/kerli1992/untitled-6.jpg But the thing I wanted to know is that should I spin it? Or...

View more questions Search