Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aussieangel Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Coping with PTSD
    :confused:
    I have been mis diaagnosed for 20 years and after the Dotr I had been seeing for 20 years sold up, I managed to get into the collage he had banned me from seeing when I tried to change doctors in 2001 but he locked me into him. I have been taken off all the medication ( i.e. lagatil valium sleepers) I cannot handle the flash backs, any idea's
    God Bless love and light
    AussieAngel
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 03:57 PM

I've had PTSD for over 20 years myself. The flashbacks go away after about 5 years. What you are having is the withdrawl of your medication causing this to happen to you. For you to be on those meds for all these years will definitely cause you problems when you stop taking them. Be patient and let the meds work out of your system. Try to keep yourself occupied as well. Mental stimulation will help you forget and heal your mind.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 04:19 PM

You should never go off medications so quickly that they cause a reaction.
    You need to detox your system and that is a weaning process. You are going through withdrawal and you need medical supervision to do that safely.

I suggest that you seek medical help as soon as possible.I know you may be reluctant to do so after your previous bad experience but not all doctors are incompetent.

Most are professionals with nothing but good intentions.

Many Blessings.. Michele
    aussieangel Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 07:54 PM

By the time the Doctor first took me off all my med's I was unravelling at a rapid rate, took 2 weeks to find someone to deal with "perscripition drug abuse?" By the time my Doctor looked at the letter I had been off all med's as asked. It was a nightmare... then he tell me to start taking them again and we would wean me off ; - (... needless to say I only took the scrips from him and ripped them uo I felt like I had already come through the first bit, and it should have killed me but it didn't. Thanks don't know a lot about this soooo new!
    God bless
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 09:12 PM

Am glad you decided to forego the meds and try and get your body clean. Congratulations! I applaud your grit. You WILL start feeling better in a little while. The meds you were taking can have worse side effects than what the meds were supposed to help you with. Taking them for that long was wrong. I know I took meds for my PTSD for about 10 years and I stopped cold as well. I feel much better now and that was a good 11 years ago that I stopped ALL meds of any kind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PTSD getting the better of me [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a combat vet. I have PTSD. When I first came home I was cold to the bone. I couldn't feel anything for anyone. Then I started lashing out at family members and others. Saying hurtful things when they bothered me. I thought I was getting better at one point, I had a good job and I was...

PTSD is it me? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok long story guys but I have recvd positive feedback from this site during a breakup and wanted to revist and see if someone out there can help me through this storm. I have been going through a storm recently and this magnified several ongoing situations. My dad recently contacted me and...

Ashamed of PTSD [ 2 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for 10 years. I have actually been almost completely med free for about 2 years. Last fall, I began to have pseudoseizures and was also diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was emotionally, verbally and physically abused as a child - and...

PTSD relapse [ 15 Answers ]

A few days ago I had quite a major relapse of my PTSD symptoms. It was triggered by recent family events, especially something that happened this past Sunday. I know I'm being vague, but I'm not ready to talk about it right now. Those of you who know my family situation probably have an idea of...

View more questions Search