Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sihaya2064 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Marital home inheritance law
    Hi
    I am married to my present husband since 4 years. We live in California.He has 2 grown up children from his past marriage. My question is , Will the home we live in still belong to me in the event of my spouse passing away? OR do his kids also have a share in our home. P.S we live ion this house.I wonder what the law says. My husband hasn't made a will as yet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 05:59 PM
    He needs to make a will.

If he wishes to allow the his kids to have the home after your death, he can assign a life time estate for you to live in the home with it going to them after your death but remians in a form of trust till them ( at this death)

But his other grown kids will have certain rights which needs to be addressed in a will, or it will be fought out in probate court
    sihaya2064 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Will they have equal rights to my home?

What about any property we buy after marriage?
    Also My husband and me are going into a business together. Will his children have rights to those also?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
    With out a will, while many times the wife does get everything, in many cases the children will have rights to 1/2 with the wife getting the other 1/2.

In most cases where it is the kids mom and dad they never press the issue, and in many cases there is really nothing to fight over.

But yes they can make a claim against everything ( may not win) but they can tie it up in probate court for years if there is no will.

As I said, talk to a local attorney, but make him make a will, without it, the court decides who gets what.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2006, 10:12 PM
    The solution seems simple here.

Have your husband make a will!

Not only a will, but power of attorney, etc.

E.g. If he goes into a coma, who is in charge of the medical decisions? Who is in charge of paying his bills?

These are decisions he needs to sit down with a lawyer and address on paper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-Marital Relations [ 7 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 3 years now, we have lived on the same college campus for this amount of time so our relationship has been very close-knit. We love each other to death, but he have one huge difference that hurts the relationship. She wishes to save sex for marriage and I...

Keeping the marital home due to desertion [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has moved out of our marital and home and in with his girlfreind does this mean I can keep the house on grounds of desertion

On Tax Marital Status. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello AMHD, I am married and have a kid of one year old. I came to US on Aug 2005 on H1 visa. My family got their H4 visa's on Dec 2005 and they came to US on Feb 2006. Now my question is What is My Tax Marital Status? Can I claim my wife and kid are dependent on me? Thanks Pro

Marital reading [ 1 Answers ]

Can I have a reading on my relationship with my husband please?

Marital problem [ 3 Answers ]

Dear seer.. My husband, daughter and I relocated to another state. Our initial plans are not going as we thought and now we are having marital problems. I left something out, but perhaps you can figure it out and enlighten me as to what I should do to solve this dilema. Thank you ...

View more questions Search