Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlDIYguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 10:21 PM
    1998 Honda Civic LX Check Engine Light Stays ON
    I just replaced a cracked exhaust manifold with one purchased from an auto wrecking yard. The OS sensor located on the top of the "new" exhaust manifold is a new one that was purchased about 5 months ago and worked fine with the "old" cracked exhaust manifold. When I turned on the ignition switch, the engine check light automatically came on. I also noticed this light was on when I removed the O2 sensor plug from the female jack when I turned on the ignition with the "old" cracked exhaust manifold (that was expected to happen). What would cause the engine checking light to turned on? Nothing else was removed or disconnected during the exhaust manifold work.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 06:14 AM

Reset the ECM by removing the 7.5A Back-Up Fuse in the underhood fuse box, or by disconnecting the negative battery cable, for 10 seconds. If the CEL returns, the pigtail connector, or the sensor, may have been contaminated.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jun 7, 2013, 06:13 PM
    Actually disconnecting the positive cable from the battery and touching it to ground then reinstalling it discharges the capacitors in the ECM and will clear codes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check engine light on a 97 honda civic [ 6 Answers ]

What are some of the reasons for the check engine light to come on in a 97 honda civic , I have already changed the upper and lower o2 sensors ?

Honda Civic Check Engine Light [ 15 Answers ]

I have a great running 1997 Honda Civic HX that has an issue with the check engine light coming on at random times. I have taken to the dealer and all they are able to do is clear the codes. Not able to read or diagnose. Connection error comes up on the OBDII diagnostics. I have noticed no...

1998 Honda Civic - Speedometer is fault; check engine light on [ 2 Answers ]

98 Civic - Speedometer dead; check engine light is on. Started a few months back... speed sensor has been replaced in addition to the alternator, new fuses and a lot of labor time charged.. 800.$!! It was OK for a month or so... then back to the same problem and the car has left me stranded...

97 honda civic ex check engine light [ 2 Answers ]

Used to come on after raining and then go out after a few drives. Now, has remained on. Neighbor hooked a diagnostic computer up to it and it didn't relay any codes. Removed the fuse (fuse 7.5) for 10 seconds and light still remains on. Any other suggestions?

Honda civic 01 engine check & srs light [ 0 Answers ]

My srs dummy light has been on 4 about 2 weeks now, and today check engine light is also on car seems sluggish and once it almost died. Please help also should I not drive it at all?? Thanks helpless in w. sac::confused: :( :eek:

View more questions Search