Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 1, 2009, 08:43 AM
    Heartworm Medication.
    If I was flexible enough to kick myself in the head right now, I would do it! Niki had her yearly check-up the beginning of Dec. They gave her a heartworm pill at the time of the exam, and gave me one to give her on Dec. 20th. As I'm sitting here answering other dog questions, it dawns on me that I totally forgot! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if it's all right to give to her right now? Is it going to be effective if I do? I would hate for it not to be because of my negligence! I'm so mad at myself for forgetting! I got too busy with Christmas stuff, and poor Niki didn't get her pill! :(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 09:38 AM

Bad star, bad bad bad, forgetting your poor pet. I think it would be quite okay to give the pill now but not any later.

Ms tickle
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 1, 2009, 09:50 AM

I know! I'm so baaad! I was too busy dressing her in silly Christmas outfits, instead of remembering her pill!

I'm pretty sure that it won't hurt her, I'm just worried that it won't be as effective. Why do I always do things like this on wkds and holidays when things are closed? I guess maybe I should post under mental health and find out why I'm so forgetful! LOL!
    Staserbeam Posts: 33, Reputation: 7

Jan 1, 2009, 10:42 AM

It's fine to give her the pill. You have a 2 week efficacy window.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 1, 2009, 11:01 AM

Just in case anyone else wants reminders when their pets are on meds. here is the link, so no one forgets like I did.

Untitled Page

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Heartworm treatment [ 13 Answers ]

My dog was diagnosed with heartworm at an early stage, and was recommended to be put on geart worm preventative until I decided on what action I would take. I am a college student and money is tight right now and I reserched heartworm treatment for mild casesand found out that dogs with mild...

Is Heartworm medication still effective if its swallowed whole? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got a new puppy for my little girl. I've never had to dispense meds to a dog before and was wondering...My puppy swallowed a chewable heartworm tablet whole. Is the medication still as effective if it isn't chewed? :confused:

Dosage of heartworm medication [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 month old chihuahua has been on Iverhart Max (6 to 12 lbs.) and doing fine with it. At her last vet visit, she weighed in at 12.3 pounds and the vet now wants to change her to the 12 to 25 lb. dosage. First, I think the scale was off by half a pound -- it read 0.5 when no dog was on it. ...

Heartworm medicine [ 3 Answers ]

We gave our puppy (4mos old) heartworm medicine and a week later she became deathly sick. Is is possible for puppies to get sick from taking heartworm medicine?

Worried about heartworm meds. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone - I have three dachshunds which I monthly give Sentinel heartworm treatment pills. My problem is that I am almost a month behind on their treatment because my vet will not authorize the prescription until she has now tested all three for heartworm - an idea that would have been...

View more questions Search