Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkgerock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Write-off expenses for parent, dependent parent.
    Hi, I have seen questions similar to the one I am about to ask, but nobody seems to be in the same situation.

My brother (27) and I (23) purchased a house for our mother to live in so that she can save money. She only makes about $12,000/yr.

We would like to be able to get some sort of tax break for this expense (write off lost rental income, or claim our mother as a dependent), but I cannot seem to find any tax rules related to this situation. She exceeds the income limit to be claimed as a dependent, but my brother and I cover more than 60% of her yearly expenses (housing, car payment, car insurance, car/house maintenance, and more).

I would appriciate any help that could help me save money for being such a good son.:)

Thank you,

Jace
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Jace:

The IRS takes a special interest in business conducted between relatives and makes sure that losses in such business relationships are legitimate. If you do not treat your mother like a stranger, have her sign a lease and collect rent, you CANNOT legally deduct the rental loss.

Given the ages you quoted for yourself and your brother, I assume that your mother is in her late 50s/early 60s and is NOT on Social Security. However, if she is earning only $12,000 a year, she is making less than minimum wage if she is working full time. What exactly does she do to earn such a pitiful wage?

If you email me at [email protected] with more details, perhaps I can give a more insightful analysis.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jkgerock View Post
    Hi, I have seen questions similar to the one I am about to ask, but nobody seems to be in the same situation.

My brother (27) and I (23) purchased a house for our mother to live in so that she can save money. She only makes about $12,000/yr.....

I would appriciate any help that could help me save money for being such a good son.:)

Thank you,
    Jace
    You mother can not be your dependent as her income is more than $3,500. You can not take any deduction for lost rent or other expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dependent Claim - Parent [ 1 Answers ]

My parent are on Social Security with total income less than $6000/year and supplement security income of $6500/year. If I provide rent and other living expenses for them, could I add their income with ours and claim them as our dependents on our tax return?

Parent as a dependent. Do they file for tax rebate? [ 5 Answers ]

I claim my mother as my dependent on my taxes. Her only income is social security. Does she need to file a tax return to receive the tax rebate or does her rebate Come on my check since she is a dependent?

Claiming parent as dependent [ 1 Answers ]

My mom and dad were visiting me here in the U.S. for over two months in 2007. And I spent over $30,000 in medical expenses (for diagnostic tests), not covered by insurance. Can I claim her as a dependent, and how could the healthcare spend be factored in, if at all? I am a U.S. citizen. ...

Claim Parent as Dependent [ 3 Answers ]

My mother has been living with us since December 2006. She receives SS and a small pension. Can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes?

Claim Parent as Dependent with NO SSN [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My both parents came to visit me to US with tourist visa (B2). They have stayed in the country for total of ~7m (221 days) for 2007. They do not have any incomes for 2007. They do not have SSN or ITIN. Q1: Can I claim them as dependents? Q2: Can I file as "Head of Household"? Q3:...

View more questions Search