Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catwub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 08:48 AM
    How soon to refinance
    I just purchased my house the last day of October at 6.2%, as the rates drop I would like to try for a better rate. However, I have had a lot of people tell me it is too soon for us to refinance and we would take a terrible hit in fees. Can anyone give me some advice in this area?

Cat
    franz546 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2008, 09:06 AM
    You usually make out in the long run if the rate is 1.5% to 2% lower than your existing mortgage. Try to get it fom your same lender, so your fees are not that much. Make sure you can pay off your existing mortgage after 3 months.
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jan 16, 2009, 09:08 AM

RE: "Try to get it from your same lender.."

This may not be a good ideal. Many lenders have clauses in their contracts on the wholesale side of the transactions not to do this. In any event, it is unlikely that any fees (other than possibly appraisal) will be lower.

The determining factor in doing a refi is how long it will take at the lower monthly payment at the lower rate to pay off the expenses involved. If you ever get told that this is a "zero cost refi" one of two things are happening... 1) The costs are being added to the loan amount (hardly zero cost!) or 2) the lender's rate to you is increased so that their increased commission at the higher rate covers some or all of the closing costs... (may not be a good deal for you). Both bankers and brokers work this way but banker's are not required to disclose at the same level to borrowers as brokers are, so bankers are legally allowed to "hide" some of the loan fee structure that brokers must disclose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How soon can I refinance a car? [ 2 Answers ]

Truth is I just helped my b/f out by co-signing for a car and I just wanted to know how soon can he refinance and get me off the paperwork :confused: I just don't want to have to dish out money that I don't have if something comes up and he can't make a/some payment(s).

Can I refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Can I refinance if my house cost the most in the area

How soon Can One Refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are one month In our new single family home, In Los Angeles, CA. We are first time home buyers. We will need some additional cash to pay for repairs and upgrades. Our Loan Was for 700K and the value of our property is at 835K. We would like to know How soon can we refinance to cash...

How soon can I refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know how soon can you refinance once you purchase a property. I have heard different answers; one being you can refinance the next day, four to six months, once your credit score is higher. I currently have a ARMS loan and would like to know how soon can I refinance.

View more questions Search