Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuong721 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2008, 03:14 PM
    How to Repaire Broken Pipes inside drywall?
    How to Repaire Broken Pipes inside drywall?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2008, 04:44 PM

The only method to properly fix or repair broken pipes inside a wall is to carefully cut holes in the drywall the repair the pipe that way. There is no magical way of doing it other than that. Sorry. All the plumbers we work with have to do it that way to properly repair the pipes. The bad section of pipe is sawn off and replaced with good pipe with good connections. Let me guess, your pipes froze up and burst inside the walls? Have you contacted your homeowners insurance agent about this to see if you are covered for the repairs? This can prove to be extremely expensive depending on how severe the problem is and any water damage.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 05:25 PM

Yep, going to have to get access to the broken pipes. Let us know what kind of pipes you have and we will give suggestions as to how to repair them. One other option is rerouting piping. But if you don't want them exposed, you will have to cut into the wall regardless.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 07:04 PM
    One word of caution. Many folks decide to repair the pipe while still in the wall. This is the standard way to repair. If it is copper as most plumbing pipe or hydronic and copper for heating the repair usually consists of cutting out the old and using slip sleeve couplings and some new pipe to affect the repair. If this is the case be very careful about torch usage for soldering in the wall cavity. Check the cavity completely for combustibles and since it is already water damaged give it a light spray of water in the upper and lower sections of the wall cavity before the work begins. During the repair do a few checks in the cavity to make sure no fire is present. If there happens to be a fire spray it down. Wet wood and drywall is very hard to combust to start with it can happen so be prepared. This method had been used by us in hundreds of homes in this area over the years.

One warning. Make no compression or other type mechanical connections in the wall. Since mechanical connections are subject to leaking over time in the wall or other hidden installs are not allowed by various codes for pressure usage. Drainage pipe is allowed to be spliced or coupled in hidden areas since under normal circumstances it is not operated under pressure.

Make sure all pipe is pressure tested before closing the repaired section of the wall. With people turning down the heat this winter because of costs this will be a common occurrence this winter.

Since this can be a difficult procedure many times it is left to a professional especially if the insurance company is going to pay for the repairs.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 25, 2008, 07:12 PM

Got to agree with HVAC but can't give him a greenie for a while yet. Covered it in great detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something broken inside my tub shower single handle faucet [ 8 Answers ]

This morning I noticed something strange with the faucet in my tub. It is a single handle tub shower faucet made by Moen. Rather then starting with the handle down in the off position and turning anti-clockwise to turn on, I need to turn it clockwise to turn on and anti-clockwise to turn off with...

Aftermath of Broken Waste pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Just repaired broken castiron pipes under the house and pumped out a lot of grey water. Now as the dirt tends to dry we are having a problem with the smell still! It is a mildue/raw sewage smell. We heard of dropping cat litter down but I wanted some other advise before trying that. Please help!!

Broken Toilet Vent Stack inside wall? [ 4 Answers ]

We had a leak in our roof. The roofer said it occurred at the one of the exits for the vent stacks on the roof and fixed it. However, he "fixed" all the others. Right after he left I went to flush one of the toilets and it now sounds as if we are next to niagara falls. The bathroom backs up...

House broken dog peeing inside [ 16 Answers ]

Our six year old cocker spaniel is house broken and has a pet door to let herself out when she needs, randomly peed in the living room tonight. I think she might have been mad at me for not letting her on the bed.

View more questions Search