Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Dec 23, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Nail trimming
    A couple months ago I purchased a set of clippers, and started clipping rex's nails mysaelf instead of bringing him to the vet every month or two. Now here's my question, his nails are a bit jagged after being cut(they were the same when I got them cut at the vets) is it all right to file his nails down, do I need a special file, to do this?
    Thanks
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 10:49 AM

Hi Rex,

I hate trimming my dogs nails for that very reason, aldo because my dogs have black nails so it's hard to determine how short is too short.

There's a new product on the market, I have yet to purchase it but I will be. If it works like they advertise then it would be a great tool. It's a file, and it grinds the nail down, says that it will never go too far and leaves the nail smooth and rounded. Here's a link.

http://www.google.ca/aclk?sa=l&ai=C_...refcode%3Dpep3

I can't say for sure that it works, because I haven't tried it, but it looks promising. :)
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Dec 23, 2008, 11:20 AM

It is allright to file the nails down if your dog is cooprative. Check your pet stores. Some nail clippers have a file included.

I like Altenweg hate to trim my dogs nails. Besides the nails being thick and black, the wrestling match with my 90 pound baby is more than I can handle. Since the vet olny charges 5.00 for a nail trim I allways go to the vet.
    Good luck.

Dec 23, 2008, 11:31 AM

I know what you guys are talking about rex's nails are all black except two of them. Fortunately he doesn't put up too much of a fight, and since I can't tell where the quick is I cut his nail only a little bit but frequently. And Altenwag I know what you are speaking of the pedipaws, I see that commercial a million times while I'm watching TV, it looks like a great product, but we don't really have any pet stores around wher I live so...
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 24, 2008, 04:32 AM

Do you have a Walmart near you? They sell PediPaws there! I believe they also have them at Canadian Tire and I think I also saw that Sears and Zellers had them too! I haven't gotten one either yet, but some friends have, and say they work great!

Dec 24, 2008, 04:41 AM

I went to walmart the other day, but I didn't see any. I'll have to keep checking.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Dec 24, 2008, 06:29 AM

I have a dog with black nails as well. When I trim them I look at them from the bottom instead of the top to make sure I don't cut into anything other than nail. It's a lot easier to see what you're cutting when you look at it from the pad side. My dog likes to lay upside down so it's pretty easy to see the bottom of her nails. Laying on her side on the couch with me sitting on the floor works well too.
    Ber
    oscarlicous Posts: 154, Reputation: 10

Feb 11, 2009, 09:26 AM

You can get the pedipaws and wal-mart or some store like that. I paid $20 for mine and it saves so much time without hurting your pet. I would highly recoment this nail trimmer for your dog.
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 11, 2009, 11:39 AM

My in-laws got me a Pedi Paws and it takes a little practice to use. So far my dogs prefer the clippers, I keep getting their nails jammed in the Pedi Paws guard. They must have really thick nails or I'm following the directions wrong because it grabs them instead of filing.
    Ber
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 12:20 PM

I use the clippers for my dogs then file them smooth with the Pedi-Paw. One of my dogs doesn't mind the PP, the other one dislikes it a lot.

The better quality clippers won't leave such a ragged edge. Ask a groomer what they recommend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Trimming Blinds [ 2 Answers ]

How would I go about trimming bamboo roman shades without damaging them? I have 2 windows that are not exactly 72" so I need to cut about 1/2 to 3/4" off both blinds.

Trimming dog nails [ 3 Answers ]

My dog's nails are way too long, my fault. I was always afriad to do it myself and she's too big for me to take to vet or groomer often. But I'm okay with trimming them now, so my question is how often should I trim them to get them shorter and how short is too short?

Trimming the front of my house [ 3 Answers ]

I am going to put Hardiboard on the back and the sides of my house, and putting cedar Shakes on the front. I am having a little bit of trouble on the way I should trim it. I am using smart board for all the corners but I don't think I should put smartboard on the front for the shakes. If I don't...

Trimming Doors [ 4 Answers ]

Need to trim 1/2" for new carpet. Doors are yellow pine from 1903 and very hard. Do I want to use a blade with very fine teeth to minimise chipping and splitting?

Trimming Stairs [ 1 Answers ]

Everything I read on trimming a stair case (in oak) they all install the riser first, then the tread. The only reason I can think of for doing this is if you ever need to replace the tread. Is there any other reason? I ask this because out basement stringers were framed with 9" run and 7 1/2"...

View more questions Search