Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yvettegiovanni Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Frivolous Garnishment On Bank Account
    Hello friends... i need help!!
    My bank account was garnished by a credit card creditor as so was my direct deposit paycheck. i'm a mother of four and live paycheck to paycheck. I called to the creditor and advised them i never had a credit card nor lived in the city,state that they stated they have on file. I advised them that i can submit signatures, affadavits, and what ever else necessary to prove this debt is not mine nor was it ever on my credit report, which i just had pulled and this erronous debt is not even up there. Per the collection agency, nothing can be done. Per my bank, yes there is and the collection agency knows it. Currently my water is turned off due to i had no money to pay my bills and been buying bottled water to flush my toilets, bathe me and my four children, and for drinking purposes, too. Isn't there something that can be done so the collection agency can release the hold (garnishment) from my bank account.
    Thanks!
    -one sad and penniless momma:mad:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Did you not get any of the notices from the company or the court regarding the case?

You need to get down to the courthouse to tell them it's not you, for starters.

And in the meantime, stop the direct deposit going into that bank, as it may very well be garnished also.

Jul 15, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Thank you Rickj!

I never received anything from this credit card company! Not even a junk mail piece that normally floods our mailboxes. I just moved to VA from NY in 2004 and per the collection agency the credit card address they have on file is in VA in 2000! I was living and working with the VP of my job in Long Island,NY.

-one sad and mad momma!:mad:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2006, 07:51 AM
    First things first. Stop the direct deposit into that account.

Then Contact the court that issued the judgment and ask them how to proceed with disputing/appealing it - and getting your money back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 15, 2006, 08:02 AM
    I had my pay check garnished earlier this year for child support ( not my child) not my correct name on court papers, but a similar name.

They got a court order to garnish a person with that name and found me.
    I had to go to court to get it stopped and the money refunded.

In your case most likely someone else has used your name and social security number to get a credit card ( identy theft, it happens 100's of times a day in the US. You will need to report the ID theft to the police, and have to pettion the court that issued the garnishment for a hearing or a stay.

As long as the bank has a court ordered garnishment or attachment there is little they can do. If the garnishment is not on your pay, just your bank account stop the direct deposit at once.

Jul 15, 2006, 01:23 PM
    Thank You Fr Chuck! I Will Do So First Thing "smokin'" Monday A.m.!
    --god Bless You!
    yvonnec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 01:59 PM
    I bought a truck nov 21 2007. After having it for a few weeks I realized it used too much gas and the insurance was too high and bottom line I can't afford it. I want to return it to the dealer but they will not except it. My financer said it was up to them what do I do. Drive it and leave the keys and truck at the dealer?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank account garnishment law [ 8 Answers ]

Can a creditor place a garnishment on my account and take or hold funds without notifying me first. This has recently happened to my bank account and now there are numerous over draft charges because of this hold and the transactions where prior to the hold is this legal. Thank You, Tbreland

Writ of Garnishment (Bank Account) [ 9 Answers ]

If A writ of Garnishment is issued by a court in Texas can the plaintiff execute this garnishment on my bank account in New York? I am a resident of Texas but when I moved from New york I never changed banks. My bank is also not available anywhere in the State of Texas. Can the creditor still...

Checking Account Garnishment Law MO. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a single checking account that's is being garnished. 1. No notification that the garnishment was taking place or in affect. 2. My work requires direct deposit. 3. Every dime I make is gone the moment it is deposited. 4. I went to court about a year ago and signed saying I agreed...

Bank Acct Freeze -garnishment [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I've had a garnishment placed on my bank accts from an old credit card debt, I thought had been paid. Apparently, in 2004 I was served court papers - (I think an old roommate signed for them & never gave them to me) for the court date. Anyway, I did not appear in court. I really was...

Garnishment of bank account for payment of medical bill [ 6 Answers ]

A creditor has won a judgement against me in court for a past due medical bill, and my checking account was garnished and consequently overdrawn. The debt was not completely discharged. I have just filed for SS disability, and have no income and don't expect to have any soon. My family has...

View more questions Search